The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I replaced all my glow plugs this March and have had amazing very quick starts all year until recently...

Im in Portland, or and i usually only have to give the plugs 5-10sec for a good start. This was true in 40-50 degree weather in march and throughout the summer and fall. Now the temps are back around 40-50 when im starting in morning and if I give the plugs 10-30sec i get a very rough, choked up start. I have to give it gas for 10-20sec to get the idle sounding regular.

This also happens after engine is warm as well. Ill drive 10 miles to work, start it up after 30min and get the same issue...not all the time, but most times.

Its never sounded like this until recently... all i can think of is it may be the air filter? I cleaned it up, K+N but no difference yet.

Any other ideas to diagnose this?

Also, a couple months ago there was a small fire around the brake master cylinder. Some awful electrical thing that i finally did sort out. When I got it back from my mechanic it started up fine and drives like nothing happened. Im wondering though if this fire might have affected the plugs or something else. It was situated right around the brake hydraulic lines and didnt seem to spread any further.

Thanks and Ill try and record some sound or video if that would help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No ideas on this? Trying a new air filter today...problem seems to be getting worse

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Holding the glow plugs on for 30 seconds will burn them out. I bet you toasted one or more. No need to energize them longer than 15 seconds. If you need more, then cycle them on/off quickly.

I don't think the fire affected the plugs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@chuckster57
Thanks for the input. Ill check the resistance again and see if any are gone.

So im experimented with no air filter in the turbo and it is running quite a lot better. Waiting on a replacement to come in the mail.

However having same starting issues. A friend mentioned it could be the fuel filter? Not sure last time it was changed. Ive only had the truck for about 5k miles

I was getting close to 20 mpg this summer and now at 15 if im lucky. Happened soon after fire. Hope that helps diagnose this...

Need to do an oil change soon so I may change out fuel filter at same time. Any thoughts? Easy job?

Thanks!
J

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check your fuel system for air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do i do that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts