The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm new to the site. Not at all new to forums or ford diesels tho!

Right now I'm in the process of trying to figure out what truck I want to buy in the next few coming months. It's a LOT to try and wrap my brain around, because there are soooo many options and even more variables to consider!

My peak will be $28,000 when the time comes. Now, I come from a Ford family. We've had a 7.3 in the family since I was a kid. I grew up learning how to work on it, and eventually it was one of the first things I drove. So I'm not new to diesel trucks, and I've decided I want one myself.

I've done more research than I care to admit! From 7.3 all the way to the 6.7. I know the catastrophic failures that can plague the 6.4, I know the studs and egr cooler issues of the 6.0, and most things in between.

I'm looking for the lowest mileage, best optioned truck out there for my money. I know you have to be vigilant when looking over in person, and making sure they were maintained properly. But that's what I want. It will be taking the place of my exploder as my daily, and will tow the racecar to and from the track, and across the country. I'm a bit of a lead foot, I won't lie, and can be hard on my cars, but I always take care of them.

Any advice would be very helpful! I'd prefer newer trucks, but I'm very very skeptical about newer ford diesels :/ Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can easily get a great 7.3 in that price range with all the mods and fresh maintenance you want. But before too long, finding one with under 200k on the clock will just become more rare. The market value on these already exceeds the book value in a lot of the continent if not globally.

I got one this last summer with 189k and you can read my intro above. This is my 2nd 1997 7.3. I like being smog exempt and a much simpler motor among other things but to each their own. If I could afford an $80k truck that's probably what I would drive.

Some guys wont be caught dead driving a vehicle thats almost a classic (more than 20 years old?) but will only drive something pretty new. I just want something that's not too complicated!

The exhaust system alone on some of the newer trucks costs upwards of $10,000.00! The best truck is one thats paid for and runs great. That's mine!

Edit: removed a typo.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Howdy and welcome!
You have come to the right place and seem to have a good background and outlook for this quest!
If you look at my Sig you will notice that we are a 99-03 7.3 family; and we dearly love our trucks!
That said I am (somewhat) looking for an old body 7.3 for a ranch and runaround truck and also an Excursion te replace the wife's daily driver...
The 7.3s are awesome and fairly bulletproof on their own and there are still plenty of nice ones still available, but as mentioned above your going to pay for one...
The 6.0s have some problems but if properly modified they can be just as reliable and you can find them with lower miles and better options and often lower priced than the 7.3 as they are more available and less popular.
If looking at the 6.0, my advice would be to either find one that has not yet had any issues and plan on 'bulletproofing' it as soon as you get it, or get the records as to exactly what work and modifications were done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts