The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

New guy here. First diesel, but am pretty competent with ICE engines, and understand the workings of the diesel side (to a point). I recently acquired an older OBS style pickup. We had been looking around a while for a 4 door 7.3PS F350, but when we can find em up here (Interior Alaska), they are either massievly overpriced, or absolutely beat into the ground. SO the neighbor says he has a 7.3 extended cab F250 he will give me. The truck has a sorted and vague past (kid that owned it did the unimaginable, and his father just wanted it off the property), so even though my neighbor knows the guy, it is not exactly a situation that one should just go asking him details about. I take a look at it, and it is a 92, on Dana 60's, and a ZF5, so it will definitely work for what we need (truck for a vintage Alaskan popup bed camper). Here are the issues.

1. End of the injector stuck in the head deal. Has been sitting there for like 8 years. The threads are stripped off the injector "Cap" and the internals are still in there. I tried using a tamp to grab the inner nozzle but it is stuck in there real well (snapped the tap). I have resorted to the fact that I am going to have to pull the head to remove it.
2. No power ANYWHERE. We had 2 jump packs hooked up to do the compression test, and nothing powered up. I am guessing the fusible link somewhere is popped.

Compression test came back and 375 across the board (with 6-7 cranks) with the exception being the #8 which we couldn't test because of the injector issue. I am pretty confident that it should be mechanically okay. Here are the questions:

1. How much of a PITA is it to get the head off without pulling the entire engine? Just the drivers side is the one I am going for. I know the weight of the head is a bit of a stumbling block, but how is access to it?
2. Where are the fusible links for this thing? There are 2 small block fuses on the fender by the starter solenoid, but they both test out. I looked for other ones, but cannot find them, and am having difficulty finding wiring diagrams the show the actual locations for these. There is definitely some "Aftermarket" wiring that has been done that I will have to sort out later.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Driver's side head isn't that big of a deal. I would use guide studs to put it back on, makes things a little easier. Be careful of the intake "gasket" it is also the valley pan and the gasket for the other side. The passenger side is possible, but it is a PITA because of the A/C evaporator being right in the way, It's even hard to get the valve cover off. All of the fusible links that I know of are on the starter relay on the fender well. there are three or maybe four of them I don't remember right off hand. By your compression tests, it sounds like the engine is still in pretty good shape, good luck with the rest of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts