The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped. Truck died on the road. Showing rpm movement when cranking. I've replaced ipr, icp, hpop. Not getting more than 400psi cranking. I was told maybe injector orings, but I cant see where there is any oil escaping from the injectors. All buzz good. Cranks fast. Could there be a pcm issue? Ive ohmed about everything I can but the pcm. Pcm is a reman and not that old. I run a hydra chip also. But a side note, when my chip is plugged in, my gpr wont kick on. Could I have a ground issue somewhere causing my ipr to still not work properly? The plug reads .3v on one side and 12.7v on the other. I'm just soooo flustered right not I cant take it. Dont want to keep throwing money and parts at it to still get nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
25,592 Posts
Injector o-rings can leak into the fuel galleries and wouldn't be visible, but you can check for evidence of oil in the fuel filter housing backing up into it thru the fuel lines to the heads. The fuel in the filter housing would look black like the oil does.
With block-off adapters on the HPOP hoses, you can isolate one head from the other. Blocking off the leaky head may allow the engine to start on the opposite bank.
Your IPR is probably working OK, if you're getting any pressure on the ICP.
There's a possibility that the ICP is biased as well, not telling the PCM that the HP oil pressure is higher than 400 psi. If you're using a gauge to measure HP oil pressure, that wouldn't be the case. You could try unplugging the ICP and attempting to start. If it does start, the ICP or its wiring is at fault.
Definitely stop throwing parts at it. You started with the most expensive ones. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you have oil leaking?
The problem I just fixed on my truck was a leaking galley plug (2 per head). The one prone to failure is next to the turbo and down pipe at the back of the engine on the passenger side of the truck. The o-ring caused a big issue on maintaining pressure for me.
I did also go through and replace all the other o-rings through my trials. Injectors, HPOP, lines, even the ones of the oil galley drain plugs (different from the one mentioned above) before I discovered the ones on the ends of the heads.
Get yourself a mirror on a stick and try and look at the back end of the engine and see if you have a collection of oil coating the engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does it start with ICP unplugged?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No... I'm not a new guy.... it's not my first rodeo. I posted on here as a last resort...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice... good luck Sunshine

·
Super Moderator
25,592 Posts
Did you take the top off the fuel filter to check if the fuel in there is black with oil? If so, you have injector o-ring leaks on the second o-ring from the top of the injector that's between the oil rail and fuel rail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you take the top off the fuel filter to check if the fuel in there is black with oil? If so, you have injector o-ring leaks on the second o-ring from the top of the injector that's between the oil rail and fuel rail.
Cant find oil anywhere. Not in coolant either. Oil level is good. It now will fire when cold but shuts down when it gets warm.

·
Premium Member
14,794 Posts
That's consistent with bad injector o-rings. The thick oil still allows enough pressure to fire, but as soon as it's warm - game over. About the only other thing it could be is a severely worn HPOP, but they are so sturdy I've never seen one go bad that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's consistent with bad injector o-rings. The thick oil still allows enough pressure to fire, but as soon as it's warm - game over. About the only other thing it could be is a severely worn HPOP, but they are so sturdy I've never seen one go bad that way.
That was my thoughts too. Hpop is a brand new stage 2. Just changed thinking that was the issue

·
Premium Member
14,794 Posts
I guess one more possibility. Truck died- you opened the high pressure oil system by changing the IPR and the pump. You may still be fighting air you introduced in the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess one more possibility. Truck died- you opened the high pressure oil system by changing the IPR and the pump. You may still be fighting air you introduced in the system.

I thought so too. But after I finally got it to fire up it ran pretty good. So it leads me to think what the last guy said... injector orings. It ran pretty well till it started to warm up, then died and wouldn't fire even with starting fluid. (I know to have glow plugs unhooked when doing that)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You were the last guy haha, didnt catch that.

·
Super Moderator
25,592 Posts
Sure sounds like injector o-rings to me as well. When mine went bad, I never had a problem as severe as it dying or even a no-start when hot, but just before I fixed it, I nearly didn't get started again when I did a stopover on the way home from work. Unless you've removed the valve covers, you wouldn't be able to see any leakage, and top o-ring leaks just go back down into the oil pan, so don't affect the oil level.
Time to dig in and replace the injector o-rings. My bet is you'll find them pretty severely shredded if it dies on you after warmup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts