The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When I was repairing the rat damage to the wires a couple of weeks ago, I noticed oil in the ICP connector, so I started shopping... $140 for the Ford F4TZ-9F838-A, so I took a $25 chance on a cheapo, knowing I could put the original back if necessary. I wasn't expecting any change in the engine because I wasn't replacing it for any driveability symptom. But I'd swear I could tell a difference in the way the engine revved, just sitting there trying to see if it would leak. After driving it for a day, I'm still trying to decide if I'm imagining a difference, or if it's really running better.

Is it possible for the ICP to make a noticeable change in the way the engine responds to the throttle, and how much pep is in its step?

·
Super Moderator
25,410 Posts
If the ICP was biased low, it would increase the pressure to the injectors. Kind of like the old 10k resistor mod. If the ICP reports a lower pressure than actual, the PCM would boost IPR duty cycle to compensate by bringing pressure up to what the it wants.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So within pinpoint test Z: ICP, the only test I see for the actual ICP output is to read the PID before cranking to see if it's 0 (Z13). No way to check the sensor bias. So does that mean that the PCM will adapt to the new ICP and go back to its prior performance? Or do you think the old sensor's leak was actually causing its reported pressure to fall the longer the engine ran; and since this one isn't, the engine will actually continue to run this well?

·
Super Moderator
25,410 Posts
That's possible, but your previous ICP would have had to have been reporting higher than actual, which isn't that likely. The PCM can't adapt, it just reacts to the voltage that the ICP is sending it.
You'd have to put a HP gauge on the system and look at the voltage vs. pressure chart for the ICP to figure out if it's in the right range.
Pressure (PSI)​
Pressure (MPA)​
Sensor Voltage​
0​
0​
.02v​
200​
1.5​
.4v​
400​
3​
0.73v​
600​
4​
.96v​
800​
5.5​
1.2v​
1000​
7​
1.4v​
1200​
8​
1.6v​
1400​
9.7​
1.9v​
1600​
11​
2.1v​
1800​
12.4​
2.3v​
2000​
13.8​
2.6v​
2200​
15.2​
2.8v​
2400​
16.5​
3v​
2600​
18​
3.3v​
2800​
19.3​
3.5v​
3000​
20.6​
3.8v​

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. I can't imagine finding a Tee fitting with those threads & O-ring, so I'll just ride it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
25,410 Posts
If you've got a spare HPOP hose, you can install that in any of the head oil rail ports and adapt to a 0-3000 psi gauge. No need for a tee (although you could find one at a hydraulic shop).

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I don't have those, and I don't know of a hydraulic shop. The last few times I've tried to buy hydraulic fittings online, the sellers didn't have what I needed & told me to make my own.

BTW
That cheapo sensor just dropped to $15.42 . I'm tempted to buy another just as a spare, or to compare performance.

·
Super Moderator
25,410 Posts
Try here for an adapter from Female o-ring boss to pipe threads. I wasn't able to find a female ORB to female pipe, but a pipe coupling is easy to find at a hardware store. You'd have to verify the size. You could also use a male o-ring boss to female pipe adapter directly into the head, if there's room for the gauge screwed into it. You'd need to confirm the oil rail plug size. I can't remember for sure but I think they're 5/16, or -05 in "hydraulic-speak". Would be the same as the ICP sensor threads.

What's the source for the cheapo ICP? Might be handy to have one in the go-box for an emergency spare.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The word "cheapo" in my first post is an Amazon link.

...and now there's a $2.00 coupon, making it $13.42+tax.

So my next question would be: which ports in the heads are for that oil rail? Any that I find along that surface? Are they all ORB? Are their plugs just screwed down, or are they also threadlocked? I think I'm seeing 4 per head in this pic: the one with the right-angle fitting (coming from the HPOP?) and 3 hex-head plugs:

(phone app link)

So the Left head would have 2 plugs, the HPOP line, and the ICP?

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
That is correct. Passenger side would have 3 open spots and HPOP line. They are o-ring boss, but forget the size (I think -05). Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
25,410 Posts
The word "cheapo" in my first post is an Amazon link.

...and now there's a $2.00 coupon, making it $13.42+tax.
Thanks
The pigtail is probably worth the $13.42, with a free ICP thrown in. (y)

·
Super Moderator
25,410 Posts
So I bought one of the Cheapo sensors. Interesting item. It has an International PN on it, and no identification of country of origin, either on the part or the box. The PN means nothing, though, as I don't think International can copyright a number. Anyway. It's an insurance spare.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen many modern knock-off parts that use the OE PN. It's slightly annoying because you can't use the PN any more to weed out the copies & find the genuine part; but it's helpful when the genuine part is out of production, because it makes the copies easier to find.

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
Still a smokin' deal for an emergency spare or even one to help someone else out of a jam. I carry a bunch of stuff in my toolbox just in case I could help someone else in need out 9and myself of course). Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So to answer your question that sensor will make a differance dry/wet haven't seen a diffrence from cheepos or pros have one from a 95 in my 99 so new or old style havent proven to be a difference. Dry is the key

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
2 days ago, I was telling a Ford diesel tech that I used to work with about this '97 F250, and how it had no leaks. Yesterday, it started leaking diesel from both ends of the valley. Last night, I started reading threads about the fuel pump weep hole, its fuel lines, and the water drain O-rings. Today, I had time to check it out, and it's the new ICP's O-ring. But it seems to only leak at WOT - at idle, I can still see where it has leaked all around the ICP, but there's nothing flowing out while I watch under the hood.

(phone app link)

Somehow, I've misplaced the original ICP...

Several of the threads I read mentioned the EBP tube being blocked up, and mine was.

(phone app link)

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
My 94 had an HPOP line o-ring fail when my wife was driving it. It left a nice oil trail for a few miles. Perhaps the one supplied with the budget ICP was not Viton? Did you notice any difference after cleaning/replacing the EBP tube? I did after both of my tucks were packed. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
25,410 Posts
Did you say it was leaking diesel? That would be bad, because it screws into the oil galley.
The o-ring was probably not Viton. Should be an easy fix (assuming it's oil and not diesel).

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you say it was leaking diesel? That would be bad, because it screws into the oil galley.
Now that you mention it... I just assumed it was diesel because of how watery it looked on the few places I saw a puddle. But I guess most of those surfaces were too dark to really tell the color of the fluid. And my sinuses are too messed up to smell it reliably, even when I'm leaning over the engine. I can barely smell it when I'm filling up. So I guess I need to check the oil level, and try to catch a few drips on a white paper towel.
Did you notice any difference after cleaning...the EBP tube?
No. Certainly not as much as when I replaced the ICP, and I was really expecting a change this time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts