The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning.

I changed my ipr last night and right after i put it all back together, the turck would not start. i went to get my scanner and while i was waiting for it to boot up, i unplugged the icp and it started right up.

next, i plugged the icp back in and the truck ran like it was running out of fuel, rpm lope and idle all over the place. shortly thereafter i got p1280 and 1281. i clear the codes and they come back almost immediately (good try). even with code cleared, live data shows the icp voltage at 0.1V and never moves, the icp reads at 726.5 all the time. i believe this to be default.

this points to bad icp right? it is less than 3 weeks old from ford, its ironic it happened at the same time i changed the ipr. so i checked some wiring, and i am getting one of the 3 pins grounded and the other is 5v, i dont know what the other is doing, i assume it is the return signal to pcm?

any ideas. i hope the dealer takes back the 130$ sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a new motorcraft ipr and runs ok now with icp unplugged just the 1280 as we would expect.

should i change the ipr back to the old one? or atleast the electrical part of it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well got my hands on flow chart. it was my fat hands and wiring.

last night i built my own socket. i cut a 1 1/8 socket and welded some 3/4 conduit into it, and welded a 3/4 nut on it to turn with a gear wrench. it was midnight and im gettin ready for a 4000+ mile trip. so i wanted the ipr changed. no real reason( original hpop and ipr 420k miles)

on sensor,
i checked voltage on pin b and got 5.0 volts to ground
between a & B and got abut 4.7-5 volts and pin c vs pin 87 on pcm was open. i followed wires and my fat hand cut through one last night. no other explanation. so i just soldered it up and some shrink wrap. all is within specs.

anyway moral of the story, be careful with your gorilla hands and 15 year old wiring! stupid "rookie" mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts