The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1996 F 250 that dosen't get fuel. I looked for the fuel shut off switch on the passenger side but cann't find it. Could it be buy passed and if so how?

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Do you still have the mechanical fuel pump on the top of the engine or do you have an electric fuel pump? The 99-03 have the electric fuel pump with the inertia switch in the passenger side kick panel. The 94.5-97's have a mechanical fuel pump on top of the engine. Mechanical Fuel Pump with 2 banjo bolt gaskets 1824415C93

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please understand this is the first diesel I have ever owned so I'm looking at motor and book. With that said it's a 7.3 powerstroke in a 1996 ford F250 and I don't know about them all I ever owned were gas. The book says electric, but I haven't been under it yet. I looked on top of motor, but I don't know what or were to look :)

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Look in the valley - right on top of the engine for a device looking like the one I linked in my first post. It is a fairly popular conversion to remove the mechanical fuel pump, plug the port on top of the engine with a freeze plug, and put an electric fuel pump on board. If you do so, you need to run it through an oil pressure switch to keep it from running should the engine die or you roll it / wreck it - don't want something pumping fuel into an engine fire.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Throw out that book, whatever it is. Or use it for shop towels.

How have you determined that it "does not get fuel"? What exactly is / isn't happening?

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The factory service manuals are the only way to go on these things! There are even some links to online versions (I'll have to look again for the link). As madpogue mentioned, list what is happening and when. There are many reasons why it may not get fuel and other problems that may mimic it not getting fuel. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The owner's manual suggesting to look for the inertia switch is for gas and diesel. The diesel did not use such a switch as it does not have an electric pump.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
D'OH, it didn't occur to me that "the book" could have been referring to the owner's manual. In that case, the OP should refer to the diesel-specific supplement owner's manual.

(Then again, no word back from the OP about what is/isn't happening; perhaps a post-and-run....)

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
I doubt its not getting fuel . Thats what everyone thinks when there is a no start , no smoke .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and I was looking in the fuel filter spot with cover off and added fuel several times. My sons owen them. They send them to shop tho and being retired I cann't afforded it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts