The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
i recently just bought a 2000 ford 7.3 just did all the maintanace to it and iam not impressed with the power. Iam a mechanic and do a very little bit of diesel work, and have driven lots of diesels. Driving in town or on the highway its like in order to keep up with traffic i have to give it at least 75% or more throttle and it dosent really feel like its boosting till prob 2300 rpm. My question was if this is normal? Would aftermarket performance parts solve this?
This dident bother me until i drove a completly stock 2003 dodge cummins and it had such nice snappy throttle response and loads of power.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What RPM's 7.3 diesel

I own a 2000 F250 stick and at 2000 RPM's the truck is doing 65 MPH in top gear. Check out the manual for RPM vs MPH.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You could pick up a boost gauge and see what kind of boost numbers you really are making. You could start by making sure all ther intercooler boots and intake tube clamps are tight. Since you said you did all the normal maintenance to it, i'm assuming it got a new fuel filter along with that?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
remember that a stick doesn't build boost the same way an auto does. Also, mine is very finicky w/ oil and after recently replacing some leaking HPOP orings, it drives/runs a whole lot better. Even stock, when i 1st got mine, it ran fine, even better w/ a predator tuner. Check for oil leaks, replace all your filters as basic maintanince and run synthetic in the winter. Mine behaves better up here w/ synthetic and i would recommend the same.
Like said earlier, check your intercooler boots and the other basics. Smokywren has a sticky around here somewhere w/ basics that would be helpful

·
Registered
670 Posts
i absolutely love my 7.3 but there slow get usto it!! haha like everyone said get a boost gauge and see what numbers your hitting while drivin. truck should make 20 to 24 nailing it between 1.5 and 4 while cruiseing.

·
Registered
937 Posts
A stock 7.3 is barely 250 horsepower (new)...that ain't much to move an 8000 lb brick...but it should do better than what you described. Yes, a good tuner would do wonders and probably put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine's an auto so that has to be taken into consideration: 75% throttle to just stay at speed is way too much unless you are going up quite a steep grade. I would say at 65 I barely have my foot down an inch to keep that speed on flats and normal low hills. That was without any tuner etc... only a open air filter. As part of the service did you check the down pipes were not leaking at the top or bottom. All the inter-cooler and turbo boots were in good condition and not split etc.. Pull all of them off and clean them up good and inspect them. The down pipes are notorious for leaking. Is there any soot build up on the firewall behind the turbo or above it? That wouldl be an indicator? A leak anywhere will hurt Perf, Boost PSI, EGT's, and MPG

The manuals had PCM tuned up to 275 from factory autos were 250

With the factory tuning these 7.3 are rather dogged but add a chip from one of the custom tuners will really wake these beasts up to where its a compeltely differnet engine. Awesome drivablity and a huge kick in the pants for power. But first I woudl recommend you need to make sure you do not have any issue causing this low perf. You will need a Pyro (EGT) Tranny, AND Turbo guages anyways. Add in DIY open 6637 Air filter conversion, and a 4" turbo back exhaust 290-800 depending on aluminized or grade of SS from MRBP.

For a chip some of the very best: Bean's Diesel Perf, Matt @ Gearhead, Tony @ Total Diesel Perf, Bill @ Power Hungry Perf, etc...as there are a number more. You have a very good pool to choose from. Of the ones I have listed above I think all will do adjustment.tweaks free if you add perf upgrades and you get at least 6 tunes from the start as part of package. What ever you do do not get a chip or tuner with some generic tunes. such as a Banks, Edge, Bully Dog, TS etc.. The vast majority of custom tuners use the TS 6 position chip and DP Tuner uses there own propitiatory chips F5& F6 and software. You can gain a 100 HP from a chip with only the very basic up grades and it also helps greatly with the shift points and firmness as well. Even better add a BTS or JW valve body.

Good example of pick tunes to pick if you are not sure what you want exactly would be: Stock, Economy, Tow, Street, Race, and a No Start as a sort of theft security measure or you can add another Tow tune for light to moderate loads and the other one setup for heavy loads. The HP rating for each tune are general estimated as depending on mods each engine will gain different amounts but with just exhaust and air 100 HP gain is quite attaianble. But what you will really notice is the great increase in driveabilty.

Do some reading on DIY upgrades etc and there are a number of things you can do. AIH delete, CCV Mod, and DIY Tymar as examples. You then have longevity upgrades like coolant bypass filter, 203 thermostat, external tranny filter, etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts