The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is hard to figure out how to get where you want to go if you don't know where you are.
A 2002 F250 followed me home about a month ago. It took a while to find a nice truck with few modifications. Diesel is a whole new world to me and I am looking forward to the learning curve. The acronym list I found on TDS this morning gave me a good idea of where I am. Thank you SmokyWren.
I have 1 question for now. Can anybody give a recommendation on local diesel mechanics? I am near Denton, Texas and would like to find a reliable source within a 45 minuet drive before I need it. I must admit I am not fond of going to a dealership.
Thank you for all the anticipated answers for all the ignorant question I know I am going to ask.

20201206_141831 - Copy_LI.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome aboard! Wife and I spent some wonderful years in Denton going to school and working there. We live in Central Texas now. Do some research on diesel pros on this forum, like RT, and other long time regulars on this forum, who really know their stuff. Smokey was sure one of them!

Know you are not fond of Ford dealerships. Many of us are not. However, if I were in your shoes and had a serious 7.3 problem, probably the best source for a good diesel mechanic would be a Ford Senior Master Technician, if they have one at your local Ford dealer, who knows diesels. It would be money well spent. Many dealerships do not have them with Senior Master credentials, however.

Next, there has to be some less expensive diesel techs/shops in the Denton Texas area, who knows Fords and 7.3s. Probably, with the University of North Texas being in Denton, there are a bunch of college students with diesels there that need fixing. If you can find one of them who owns a Ford diesel, perhaps they can put you on to a good local diesel shop.

Finally, there are a lot of ranchers around Denton that use diesels towing horse and cattle trailers. Might consider asking one of them who they use.

Wife and I have owned a 7.3 for eighteen years and we plan to never sell it. It has never us down in close to 250K miles with some might heavy towing, including mountains. Finally, just do a lot of research on this forum. It is invaluable, as you are finding out. Again, welcome aboard!
Mike

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts