The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i'm shane
thursday i rolled my 92 f150 5.8 4x4. i would like a truck with more hauling capibility and a little more power under the hood. ive wanted a diesel for a while now and figure what better time than after this. i'm thinking something along these lines
https://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/5458532314.html
but i do not know much about diesels and what to look for when going to look at a used one. what specific questions should i ask about the motor? what should i look listen and smell for when looking at one? all imput will be greatly welcomed. i am partial to the older trucks like the one in the link but am not set on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Shane,
Welcome to the forum and that was my favorite era of Ford trucks that you had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine too. Up to the roll over I was a GM fan. I walked away with a bruised rib. My passenger has a cracked vertebrae but is still walking around. my first ford pickup was a 86 bullnose.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What tear model are you looking to get. There has been alot of changes from thr 90s to now. I chose the 7.3 due to dependability of this motor. The 6.0 had a lot of issues. The last year of the 7.3 was early 03. If you can find one all stock with 200,000 miles or less good chance that it will be a good one if everything has been taken care of. Also try and get all the maintenance records on whatever you get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would prefer to get the same body style I have currently. I dont know anything about the 2 motors offered so all input is welcomed and reread many times. My budget will be between 5 and 6 grand. extended cab at least is a must as is 4x4. I have been searching locally and have found some good starting points. I am also not opposed to traveling for a truck that will treat me right. Im not worried too much about finding everything I want in a truck body wise. its the engine that I am unsure about. Steve83 pointed me over here from fordf150forum.net he is a wealth of information over there so I figured if this is where he pointed then this is as good a place as any to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts