The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
As suspected, there is no PCM Only 'Recalibration' Fix for this issue, it is a complete rebuild of the head, and if you are going to go that route, you best insist on an entirely new head to save yourself further grief.

I still have suspicision that the 20,000 early 2015 engines that showed up defective during testing around the factory in January 2014 is related to this issue. Per my source that is both trustworthy and reliable, Ford pulled engines out of trucks awaiting shipment and replaced them and those along with others that were rebuilt prior to being added back to the manufactured truck pool. Ford obviously was smart enough not to add all of these engines back in at once, but instead, gradually has been adding them back to the pool. Truck manufacturer date can not be used to pin this down.

For myself, my issue was one if not the first to be reported in September 2014 2.5 months in at 4100 miles. The issue continued for 14 months. Starting around 29,000 miles in November 2015 (5 months ago), my issue has not reoccurred and I have tried to force the issue with low tip-in during regeneration and it does not re-occur for now. Will that hold? I can only hope so. Some have theorized the issue is more prevalent with warm temperatures. I have no certain proof that ambient temperature has anything to do with it.

What has changed? My assumption is that perhaps my valves and/or valve guides have perhaps gradually worn in to help with the issue. Other than that, I have tried everything:

Ford Motorcraft Cetane Additive
Archoil AR6200 Diesel Fuel Catalyst
Archoil AR9200 Oil Additive
Full Synthetic 5w-40w Motorcraft Oil
Opti-Lube Cetane Additive
Opti-Lube Summer and Winter Formula

If someone has access to the PDF for the TSB, could you please post it?

I have asked my purchasing dealer to get a PDF copy of it.

Good luck to everyone dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
As suspected, there is no PCM 'Recalibration' Fix for this issue, it is a complete rebuild of the head, and if you are going to go that route, you best insist on an entirely new head to save yourself further grief.

Why do you say there is no PCM recalibration? The first step in the TSB states to update the PCM to the latest calibration...

Then they perform the exhaust valve replacement. This goes along with what you and I talked about.

1) If they don't have the issue, the PCM update will prevent it from happening.

2) If you do have the issue, they still have to replace the exhaust valves and update the PCM with the latest update to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why do you say there is no PCM recalibration? The first step in the TSB states to update the PCM to the latest calibration...

Then they perform the exhaust valve replacement. This goes along with what you and I talked about.

1) If they don't have the issue, the PCM update will prevent it from happening.

2) If you do have the issue, they still have to replace the exhaust valves and update the PCM with the latest update to prevent it from happening again.
As usual the dealers are somewhat in the dark. I am sure more clarity will come shortly.

Both my purchasing dealer and servicing dealer was not aware of the TSB being released and could not yet discuss exactly what it would or would not do. I think part of the confusion on what was posted on the other forum is that the steps that were referred to were not clearly marked. All steps had a '1' beside them.

My comment is not meant to be a slight against the dealers. They are just like the rest of us busy with their day trying to make a buck. The issue is that unless they have an inside track with Ford, they are giving the same piece of paper as was posted as to what the TSB entails.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well if you ask an advisor or a salesman they prob wouldn't know anything. im curious as to what the pcm is going to do to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Might prolong the regen by limiting the amount of fuel dumped into the left cylinders???? Lower the typical regen temp????

Not an engineer nor much on the process Ford uses, but seems like the above might be the strategy.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Changing the thermal dynamics will do it. Have have said in the past that a tuner that can change it will allow wear in and create a tolerance that can except big heat. I cannot endorse such things do to laws and fines with 2 digits to the left of a common. While waiting for an approved calibration, we will see how effective it is at changing the heat but certtainly could. Will it not effect down stream issues missing a little heat? We will see but Nick went after root cause.

Anybody check and confirm a new valve? Does 10 percent over still have it as a $7 and change valve? Do we have a taper at combustion end?

There has been a lot of focus on this and my essays. I feel it is very noteworthy that FoMoTech had clearly expressed with his almost 3 decades experience that during the clean the valve campaign attempt that ford was in his mind tying his hands by not paying for him to look further into the valves and doing a proper job. I believe him to be an excellent mechanic and had he not had constraints he would have been dead on it as well. I respect him. I wish he lived in Maryland and I could employ him.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is it safe to say that if we have never had this problem, we are safe? I have 26k on my 2015.... I hope she keeps plugging along.

Cale

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Yes sir, most likely. If you can get in that mid 20k to 30k range, enough wear in generally occurs to allow for the thermal expansion, seems to be, the in the clear Mark.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yes sir, most likely. If you can get in that mid 20k to 30k range, enough wear in generally occurs to allow for the thermal expansion, seems to be, the in the clear Mark.
So after having some episodes jackhammering last year, the episodes go away in the winter. Seems 70f ambient temp is the threshold. I now have almost 20k miles of no regen issues, can I assume that my engine is 'worn in'' and outgrew the jackhammers? Just passed 40k today. I guess I will know as summer temps come in.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I think you will be fine now buddy, provided you have been running good clean fuel, oil and not idling a bazillion hours.
It's seems in that range that wear in gets you to the point where wear in gets that guide to stem clearance opened up to that .003-.004 range instead of 0 dragging in the guides at room temp on the bench with no springs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not a fix, but a workaround: I've heard that shifting down a couple of gears to keep RPMs up eliminates the hammering for that regen. If you know a regen is coming, perhaps a lockout of 6th or using Tow/Haul would get you through it. After a few thousand miles of this inconvenience, the clearance should open enough so the work around isn't necessary. I am open to comments on this as I am thinking out loud and now have 24K on my truck without the issue. It would at least give you the power of getting involved in reducing the impact and not just feeling helpless.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Not a fix, but a workaround: I've heard that shifting down a couple of gears to keep RPMs up eliminates the hammering for that regen. If you know a regen is coming, perhaps a lockout of 6th or using Tow/Haul would get you through it. After a few thousand miles of this inconvenience, the clearance should open enough so the work around isn't necessary. I am open to comments on this as I am thinking out loud and now have 24K on my truck without the issue. It would at least give you the power of getting involved in reducing the impact and not just feeling helpless.
A lot of us with the issue have some sort of monitoring device, I have a edge insight. It absolutely takes any guess work out of knowing when and how long they occur. It's basically like having a countdown clock. So when it starts just going into tow haul mode is enough. But I've pinged in that and still had to gear down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anything new on the 2011-14 trucks with the issue? I have a 12 that went thru 2 events at 34,000 with the next 9000 miles trouble free.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Anything new on the 2011-14 trucks with the issue? I have a 12 that went thru 2 events at 34,000 with the next 9000 miles trouble free.

You are the first (and only) pre-2015 I have ever heard of having this issue. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Exactly, well it is the root cause issue but I have said in my essays that the 6.7s have those gears, leave that engine living at low rpms an awful long time. I have also stated its a good idea to hold that trans back to keep rpms up more most importantly when you are getting close to get into regen. It all depends on the truck and how tight and many guides are but wear in would be inevitable. However you were still be sporting that $7 and change valve.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

You are the first (and only) pre-2015 I have ever heard of having this issue. Interesting.
There was plenty on this forum. TSB: 13-05-09 Was the first tsb ford put out that I remember for this issue.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There was plenty on this forum. TSB: 13-05-09 Was the first tsb ford put out that I remember for this issue.
Absolutely correct... the issue was not present in the 2008 - 2010 trucks with Regeneration, but first started showing up with the 2011 - 2014 and then intensified in severity with the changes made to the 2015-2016 engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts