The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 7.3 I have cold air intake a 4inch exhaust after market chip and I put a new GTP38R turbo on and I have noticed that my exhaust temps are hotter than they were with the stock turbo . Hills that i use to run up faster with lower exhaust temps are now getting my temps hotter faster and i'm having to back out of throttle sooner . Any help would be great.

·
Registered
499 Posts
2001 7.3 I have cold air intake a 4inch exhaust after market chip and I put a new GTP38R turbo on and I have noticed that my exhaust temps are hotter than they were with the stock turbo . Hills that i use to run up faster with lower exhaust temps are now getting my temps hotter faster and i'm having to back out of throttle sooner . Any help would be great.

I would check for boots leaks at the turbo to intake spider and boots. Also check your up pipes for leaks. Do you know what your fuel pressure is running. I have the same problem as you but I am running 180/30 injectors on mine. So from what I have found is that the 38r does flow more air but you have to keep the rpm up to get the bigger turbo to spool up they tend to run hotter in the lower rpm’s tell you get in the higher rpm band. I’m in the process of switching to a turbo that is bigger than stock but smaller than a 38r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info i will check I have stock injectors new up pipes all new boots . Maybe my superchips turner needs an upgrade .

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It's not the tuner but it probably does need an upgrade for other reasons. Seems that turbos that claim to move more air also require more rpms...

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Yes i do believe the 38R need to spin a little faster to keep the temps down, so upgrade your tuner to maybe a DP Tuner multi and go back a gear and keep some rev's on that 7.3. :smile2

G'day Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts