The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I am looking at putting a new valve body into my truck from John Woods but wanted to get some insight if this was a good or bad thing. The truck is an 02 F-350 CCSB, single rear wheel. It has 160/30 injectors from Full Force, Intake, exhaust and fueling upgrades. It also has about 196,000 miles on it. The truck itself has had a very easy life. It was a daily driver for a 70+ year old man and as for myself it has only towed 2,000 LBS about 20 times and 8,000 LBS once or twice.

So long stork short. My question is about dropping the transmission oil and changing the valve body. The transmission shifts great and never slips but I know there are mixed feelings about a transmission having this many miles and the oil never being changed. I would like some real input here if this is something I shouldn't worry about or not to do without causing major problems down the road.

Thanks for everyones input. Steve.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have completely flushed and done pan drops and swapped/mixed oils and never had one fail that wasn't already on the way out. Most of the time it was a night and day improvement. I personally noticed a huge improvement on mine. However the seals for 3rd were too far gone.

If you drop the pan I would go ahead and do a complete flush.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I think the tranny is pretty healthy. Oil isn't burnt and it shifts great. Like I said before, this truck has had a very easy life. I just wanted to ask everyone if it's a good thing or not to change the oil on a high mileage tranny. Or doesn't it matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I really feel like those people that change it at high mileage have changed the fluid whe. Something went wrong. The. They were like "well I changed the fluid and it died". There is a science and logic to it. But a complete flush rules it all out.
Its worth it for a ford oem filter BTW. I tried one from Napa and was very uncomfortable with it. It now has a motorcraft back in it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have always been a believer in Trans fluid Changes every 30k religiously, but In my opinion, as long as you do a true fluid change(drop the pan, dont just use the drain plug)) which you have to do anyway to do the valve body things will be fine.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
dont use the trans filters from napa. they only sell the filter for 2wds which does not extend as far towards the bottom of the pan.

i would just drop the pan and swap the valve body then put a new filter in. are you running an upgraded cooler yet? thats the biggest improvement on lengthening the life of the trans.

the valve body is a good idea but dont expect the trans to last forever. especially since the truck is pushing 380-400hp instead of stock 220hp.

there is some detergent in trans fluid. if the trans wasnt maintained the new fluid will do a great job at picking up all the gunk/deposits and sending it through your transmission. which never ends well.

if it hasnt been maintained well do the initial pan drop. then 5k miles later drop the pan and clean the magnet/ new fluid again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. Thanks for the advise about the filter being OEM. I know the tranny wont last forever but didn't want to do this work and it cause major issues since the tranny has been doing great.
Ill take your advise about changing the fluid after running for 5k. It does not have the upgraded cooler yet (something I want to do) but I could see about doing it when I drop the fluid after 5k. Truck doesn't pull anything heavy but I'm sure the cooler temps could help me anyway (at least I know it wont hurt, lol).

Thanks for everyone's advise and I will be going forward with doing the valve body in the next week or so.

Thanks Again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts