The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this past month I took on a project for myself and I would like to share the results with everyone. I have no clue if I'm posting this is the right forum but oh well!

After 13 years of Michigan and Ohio salt filled winters, my bed inevitably rusted out and was beyond the point of salvage. I did not want to go through the hassle of buying, shipping, and installing a new bed, so I did the next best thing in my opinion. I built a solid wooden bed from pressure treated lumber.

The before:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck bed part

You can see the amount of rust throughout the bed. The mounting bolts were barely holding on. The supporting bars were gone as well underneath. It was a running joke that the bedliner was the only thing supportive about the bed... not too far from the truth.

The during:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Commercial vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Pickup truck

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

The sub structure is made up of 2 4"x6" at both ends that are bolted down with 6" long grade 8, 1/2" diameter bolts. I got lucky and the frame rail has plenty of holes to bolt everything down. Between are 2"x6"s that are bolted down as well. The trick was since the frame rail is not a flat surface, I had to shim up the supports with ripped 2"x6"s. Once all the cross members were bolted down, I tied them all together with a 2"x12" which had a cut-out for the rear wheels. The panel closest to the cab of the truck is mounted and not removable. It is made up of 3 5/4"x6" running the length. It just so happened to fit nicely under the rear window. During construction of the sub structure, I also included mounts for 2"x4"s to run up from underneath so that I could build removable sides.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wooden Bed finished

Well here it is all finished! I do plan on staining it, I was thinking of a dark stain on the outside boards and a clear coat on the deck.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Commercial vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Transport

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Pickup truck

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Commercial vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber

Final thoughts: It was a fun project to take on and love the results. I love the removable sides for really big items (like scraping my old bed). Between the gates is just over 5 feet and it is 8 feet long with the gates closed. I used the old wiring harness from the original bed and wired it to the new lights. Added the side markers to help guide me in the dark when backing into parking spots. It is ridiculously strong and solid feeling! All the deck boards were screwed in, for easy removal/replacement. In fact, everything is held with screws and bolts, essentially the whole thing could be disassembled if needed. Actually I had to do rear shocks last week and I took up the one deck board over the top bolt and made it cake to replace. There are tie-downs, just not visible from the photos.

Some stats about the bed:

Cost - Approximately $450. Originally I priced it out for $375, but wanted to spice it up and make it look more appealing.

Weight - About 350lbs, this is a rough guess from comparing the truck weight before and after scrapping the old bed.

Time - 64 man hours. I built this by myself, took a couple of weekends to construct.

Dimensions of open flat-bed: 77" wide x 98" long

Please post up comments or questions, I would love feedback! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Nice work BigRed06, that will cure the rust problems in the future, old mate .
That's a practical way and cheaper way of putting a tub on the back of your truck , so useful with the sides removable, there is so much extra room to carry wide or longer materials , we have a lot of tray back trucks over here for the same reason.
Be sure and post some photos when you stain the wood work. :thumbsup:

Here's a photo of a F-Series here for sale , not the price:nono:

2003 Ford F250 RM XLT (4X4) Maroon 6 Speed Manual Cab Chassis | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia South Canberra - Fyshwick | 1053109705

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Love that bed.
Googs I take it they have heard of the 6.7 issues making that price what it is.
How many miles is that? Is that devil dollars or American?
I thought it was like illegal to have carpet in a truck down there.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Love that bed.
Googs I take it they have heard of the 6.7 issues making that price what it is.
How many miles is that? Is that devil dollars or American?
I thought it was like illegal to have carpet in a truck down there.
Ha Ha Nick, yeah we've heard about the 6.7's mate what do you think keeps the Dealers going.

That's Devil dollars mate and its a 7.3

And yeah we have carpet too, not for me though to much mud over here in devil land. :lol:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That bed looks good. I bet it'd look better on a Cab & Chassis frame. Should replace your stock bumper with an I-beam to finish the look (and prevent any *******s from rear-ending you and ruining your hard work).

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Wow that looks good but having a rough natural finish it might not blend in.:lol::lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.