The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Been lurking here since I got my PSD for towing a race car a couple of weeks ago. It's dead stock, lots of miles. Was told by previous owner Ford reman tranny installed 25,000 miles ago. I got an Edge unit with it, not sure which model offhand, my question: will putting it on the lowest setting, 40 hp(?) put too much load on the old girl. I'd hate to blaze up a hill feeling like a king and have to walk home, get my old Chevy 454, and tow the whole mess home. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You will be fine in that setting. These thing can take alot more than that. But if you tow alot you will need a set of gauges! They will let you see how the old girl is workin'

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Agreed, the edge is pretty mild. It is unlikely you will tear it up on the 40 hp program. Just use a little common sense on the hills and it will be fine.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Considering that even a bone stock motor is capable of destroying a trans, and now add the fact that you tow i would strongly recomend that you install at the least a trans temp gauge. and if you going to leave the intake and exhaust stock a pyro is a good idea also.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
The truth is you need a trans and a EGT or pyrometer, and a boost gauge is also very helpful. You can get all 3 with a pillar and complete install kit for under $300 delivered from www.kensperformancesolutions.com
You need to add gauges first, then I would also look at letting the old girl breathe a little before adding anymore ponies, otherwise it could be difficult to keep your EGT's under the 1250 redline depending on load and grade. I suggest the Ford AIS intake for $200 from thepowerstrokeshop.com with the zoodad mod and at least a Walker BTM from Napa for $50, my EGT's dropped 100-150 degrees between these two mods. I also think supporting that tranny would be a good idea, this can be done with a valvebody or a shift kit. I have the FTVB and highly recommend it. Then and only then would I add more ponies, and if you really want some good tunes dump the superchips stuff and call Jody at DPTuner. You may want to keep the SC for a code reader. PM me with any ?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Exactly what ^ he said, Adding horsepower even if its only 40 to a bone stock truck with almost 150k in it you will be asking for trouble unless you take the nessesary precautions as described in the above post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch folks. I'm planning on the intake and exhaust mods, sounds like I need to do the gauges too. From an article in Diesel Performance, sounds like adding the pyro is a drill and tap job - or was in their Dodge. Any chance an old Ford has the pyro already in place?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
chances are its not tapped, but i had mine post turbo on the downpipe as close to the flange as i could get it and it was a clamp on type "no tapping" just drill, and mine worked fine i would get out of it when i hit around 1000 deg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, where'd you get that clamp-on unit?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The concensess is to do the pyro pre turbo. Drill and tap into the exhaust manifold. Quick and easy job. 1,200 degress is the magic number.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the help. Glad I found this place.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I too used the clamp on method, 3 years no problems, just get in contact with Ken and he will set you up with everything you need at the best price. You want a pre turbo pyrometer reading!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I also placed the EGT probe into my driver's side up pipe. One reason is if the donuts start leaking again, or I mess the hole up I can replace that pipe pretty easily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

I was skeptical that everyone was blowing the EGT gauge thing out of proportion. I quickly learned that all the warnings I was given were justified and then some. You learn when to push your truck and when to back off real fast. If you can afford a $10,000 engine then maybe you're not too concerned with melting a piston.

My EGT gauge is now my most viewed instrument, next to maybe the speedo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts