The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ford:okay to start with I have had nothing but problems since buying my truck, when i got it it ran then died the ipr was bad now that is fixed, i have had the truck back for one week and yesterday after it got warmed up and i drove it a while it died and i had to fight with it to get it to restart, done that twice, once as ii stopped and once it died while sitting. the truck has some issues with the gp system as far as i can tell if i turn the key 8 or 9 times then try to crank on it it will start pretty quickly but if i only do it once or twice i have to crank and crank, this is even if its plugged in overnight. the truck idles up and down while idling also the part on the drivers side of the fuel bowl with the wire on it is dripping fuel, if anyone can help with any of these problems that would be great,

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
As far as the starting toubles go you need to replace the Glow Plug relay and check your plugs. What shape are our UVC harnessess in ? The leak you will have to remove the plug , which I belive you are decribing the Fuel heater plug and replace the O-ring behind it. For this you have to drain the filterbowl . Hopefully your problems will end . I had to do a complete fuel system overhaul when I first bought mine. I feel your pain. Thats what happens when you buy a high mileage diesel. You never know who did what and when they did it .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay i am planning on replacing the gp and the gpr as well as the uvc harness here within the next week or so, i just drove the truck down to the gas station about twenty minutes ago and for some reason it is quiter then what it has been since i bought it, and is now idling up and down between 525 and say 750

·
Registered
376 Posts
still lots of poss issues

I would start with the easy things... if you have done them then go on to the more expensive issues... I would start with air filter, fuel filter, FPR filter, add some staydene (sp) to the fuel tanks to get any water out, drain fuel filter before you change the filter.
It does sound like you are on the right track with the GPR. The harness can be an issue as it is built into the valve cover gasket. What that means is it could be a wiring issue or some bad glow plugs or both. I would consider just doing all of it that will relieve having to take it apart several times.. While the relay is a do it yourself the glow plugs are a pain and if only 1 is a trouble having it in the shop (at least for me) is worth the $$$$. Make sure that you use Ford glow plugs you can get them cheaper at Auto Zone and just take them to the dealer.
If none of these improve the issue I would look into the fuel heater in the bowl as a possibility of causing a short but that is getting out my area of expertise... or stuff that I have dealt with .... good luck...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay well io plan on replacing the gp and the relay as well as the uvc harness and vc gaskets all at once however i chose the bosch plugs, is there really that much of a difference? also can anyone shine some light on getting to the top starter bolt i am having issues getting it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the top bolt on the starter is a pain but you have to get a bunch of extensions and then you should be able to get the bolt it is a pain but you can get to it with those extensions

·
Registered
605 Posts
While you are replacing the glow plugs and UVCH, I would highly reccomend inspecting and replacing your injector O-rings. Bad O-rings will cause hard starting when the engine is warm. Look closely at the poppet screws in your injectors and inspect them as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts