The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My A/C quit blowing while truck was idling a few days ago. Replaced blower motor resistor and still no blower function. Tapping on the motor did get it running again but it would not come back on after shutting it off. Replaced blower motor. The new motor sounds strong on all settings but hardly any air flow is coming through the vents, including defrost vents. I'm stumped. The airflow was correct for each setting when I got the old motor running by tapping it so I assumed it needed to be replaced, which I think was the correct call. I did remove vacuum pump to install the new motor, but it appears all lines are re-connected properly. I suspect either the pump itself is bad or there is a vacuum leak I cannot detect. Any ideas?

Update: The new motor is working correctly but I have little air coming out of the vents, maybe slightly more when the engine is running and slightly more again at the higher settings when the blower is running harder. I plugged the line from the reservoir to the solenoid to eliminate a leak at the hubs. The pump runs to a point then stops- runs again when I unplug the line so it is functioning. I'm also getting air thru the dash vents on the defrost setting only. I am wondering if the pump is just too weak to properly operate the vents? Has this happened to anyone else? I can have the pump tested but lack the gauges to do it myself. I can replace the pump now but if that's not the problem...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I replaced the vacuum pump over the weekend to no avail and also cleaned the evaporator as best I could from the blower side. It didn't look bad. The airflow issue persists. I'm pretty sure there is no vacuum leak and I can see that both actuators function. There is still a blockage of air flow, I just don't know where. I suspect it's the mixing door but why? I have read most of the forum posts on this topic and still have an issue. If anybody reading this has any comments or suggestions they would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I replaced mine on my '07 a few years ago due to quitting intermittently. I replaced it with an OEM Ford unit and it works as good as new.

I replaced one with a parts store aftermarket unit on an old Buick RendezVous a couple years ago as well and it works but it's much louder and the airflow is probably 60% as best to what the OEM was putting out.

If you bought an aftermarket unit, is it possible it could be a similar issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts