The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago coming home my truck lost power and boost right before getting to my house.

The next day I put it under load and at 3200 rpm the boost came back and the turbo functioned fine. Since then I've had to do that every time I start the truck to get the turbo working right. It idled quite a bit this winter so I thought it was the vanes or disk sticking, so today I pulled the turbo and tore it down, everything looked great in there, no binding, heavy rust or heavy carbon build up, the disk looked brand new as well as the vanes.

I still cleaned everything up, doubled checked the disk on both halves to ensure no binding, marinated everything in Blaster and put it all back together. It's sitting right now because I had to use RTV for the oil feed gasket.

I also cleaned the EGR valve, just because I try to do it every other oil change (it's rarely even that dirty).

Would it be safe to assume that if it continues to act up until hitting 3200 rpm that the actuator is on the way out? It's not giving me any codes or anything, just being slightly stupid.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It could be several things. I would look at the wiring for both the TVCS and the EBPS. I would pull and clean the EBPS and its tube. If that doesn't fix it then I'd probably replace the EBPS first and then the TVCS. In my experience the solenoid rarely goes bad, but the EBPS seems to have a service life of around 150-200k.

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
TVCS Is the turbo vane control solenoid on the turbo.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Yep, exactly. Let us know if the EBPS solves the issue. Looks like it should.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, exactly. Let us know if the EBPS solves the issue. Looks like it should.
Fixed it.

I was going to replace the sensor, but can't get one in until tomorrow and this is my work truck.

I cleaned the sensor carefully, it was packed solid with gunk, then I soaked the tube in blaster and fished some weed whacker line into it, then started the truck with the sensor off to blow the gunk out.

Got it all back together and started it. Turbo is whistling and giving boost at start up, the truck is idling much smoother, and the turbo sounds much better. I didn't realize how bad it was sounding as time went on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts