The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dealer thought that it might have still been getting some fluid, just not enough. Or the line continued to degrade. I have no idea what the ramifications are for that on the limp mode. It also could have had ice in it as I was driving through cold conditions and the heating coil around the line was broken when the line was crushed. There appeared to be some drop off in power when the light was on, but nothing like the zero boost that I had a week later.
I can't remember if this (possible ways to damage the line) was discussed in your other topic about your crushed line but is this line and surrounding heating coil protected enough from driving over saplings (young trees) and other brush that scrapes against and has the potential to "grab" the undercarrage?
I haven't seen where this line is located to have an answer for myself.

This has me a little worried since I didn't get an FX4 with factory skid plates (assuming the FX4 skidplates even protect this line). I couldn't get the 18 inch wheels with the FX4 package so I settled with only the 4x4 package.

The DEF line better not be crushed when my truck arrives (probably with the MY2012 trucks...lol).

(Edit; I just realized this isn't even on topic with your original boost issue...sorry).

·
Registered
124 Posts
One should take the time to check out facts before trying to act like an expert, see page 45 of the 6.7 diesel information book.

Wastegate Solenoid and Actuator The wastegate on the DualBoost
VGT is vacuum controlled through a solenoid that is controlled by the PCM.
The wastegate is only used on the DualBoost turbocharger.
The wastegate opens to relieve excessive exhaust pressure at higher
RPMs.
When the VGT cannot react quickly enough to reduce MAP pressure, the
wastegate will open to reduce EP to slow down the turbo.
Well this time I was wrong and should have consulted the book. Thank you for pointing that out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am driving home from lunch today and some jerk in a Duracrap is tailgating me while I am getting on the highway. I put the go pedal down and nothing. Boost goes to MAYBE 5 pounds and truck can't get out of his own way. So, back it off, slow down a little more and give it fuel, nothing. Now the boost gauge is at zero. Come up to a stop light and go to take off, nothing. Zero boost, feels like my 1985 Subaru. Pull into shopping center, shut off, go in to get a sandwhich. Come out in less than 5 minutes, take off and the boost shoots up to 20+ and the back end feels loose. Power is back. Truck sounded like it was knocking when there was no boost (but hard to hear at driving speed because it is so quiet) and no turbo noise. Was idling fine when I shut it down. No lights came on. Dealer says Regen shouldn't cause anything close to this. What the heck is going on?
My truck just did the exact same thing to me thin morning. The truck was running great all day, I stopped at a red light, and when I took off, no power, no boost. Engine didn't make any funny sounds, everything was normal with the exception of no boost. I managed to get up to highway speed getting to the next exit, but the truck reminded me of my Dad's old Detroit Diesel in a 80's something suburban. I got into a parking lot and shut the engine down. I started right back up and ran like normal for the rest of the day. I guess someone has a 0 where a 1 needs to be somewhere in the 100,000 lines of code.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sureshot what color is your truck? Not sure I have seen a pic of that beast yet,will you post one for us?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I still love the truck, it starts hot shot duty next week!
So far, nothing like this issue with mine.
When was your truck built?

That's a great looking truck.
I assume that's the Forest Green Metallic since there is only one green in the order guide?
I was debating between that and the Sterling Gray Metallic.
I knew I couldn't go wrong with gray so that's the route I ended up taking. Nicely taken care of yard, too...haha.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sure, funny you should mention that. I was taking my folks into the dealer today (which ended up with them working a deal on trading in their 7.3 too, haha) and had the dealer pull the codes to see if it threw one. There were two codes that it picked up, neither had anything to do with the turbo. The first one was a AUX 1 not found which i knew because I used it to hook up my rear DVD player. The second was a ground fault in trailer brakes. Did a little more homework and it looks like I might have a faulty brake controller in the truck. They checked both the plug in the bed and the one in the bumper and they tested the same, with one of the fault lights glowing faintly. I need to take it back in to get a new controller installed. It tells me my trailer is disconnected every now and then for no reason. Ford thinks it might be related to the controller.

·
Registered
170 Posts
controller

Mine does same thing with the controller,trailer disconnected, connected,disconnected.
I have no 5th wheels brakes either

I'm double checking for power in the plug for brakes

let me know what they figure out...might just be bad ground too

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a ground in one of the wires. Maybe chaffed through, which could be sending stray voltage somewhere, which may be giving the computer an issue with the turbo. Didn't the other turbo issue come down to a bad wire in something other than the turbo? Got to love modern electronics.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Mine does the same. But I put a small bungy cord Around tralier end that plugs in and make cord pull it to the left and foward. Don't ever see disconnect anymore. My trailer wiring is very big and stiff causing it to back out some. The lid catch doesn't hold it in far enough. That goodness for bungies. And mine I noticed it when I would make a tight turn. Maybe this will help someone. Kinda a chessey repair but it works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine does same thing with the controller,trailer disconnected, connected,disconnected.
Mine did the same thing with my 40' gooseneck, but not with the 5er I pulled last week. Even though it said disconnected, I still had trailer brakes:werd:

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far, nothing like this issue with mine.
When was your truck built?

That's a great looking truck.
I assume that's the Forest Green Metallic since there is only one green in the order guide?
I was debating between that and the Sterling Gray Metallic.
I knew I couldn't go wrong with gray so that's the route I ended up taking. Nicely taken care of yard, too...haha.
Truck was built on 4-21-10

Yes it's green, I wanted the same blue I had on my 08, but :ford: canned that color for job 1 for the KR :nono: The Green ended up looking much better that I expected, and I get more complements on the green truck than I did with my blue one!

Thanks on the yard, lots of Scotts and a big water bill:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mine did the same thing with my 40' gooseneck, but not with the 5er I pulled last week. Even though it said disconnected, I still had trailer brakes:werd:
I think there is a problem here. I know for a fact that my trailer plug hasn't backed out, it was latched in. It did it with the bed plug and the bumper plug, and with 2 different trailers. Also, it threw a code that the dealer read. I am going in to have them replace the controller.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just had the Turbo boost issue (first time). Thought the truck felt sluggish, drove highway, and in town. Finally thought to look at the boost gauge and nothing. Ran a Vehicle Health Report before I pulled over, shut down the engine and started it right back up. Everything was fine after restarting. When I got home I pulled up the Health report and nothing showed. It's been a month since the last post on this thread, has anyone figured out why this happens?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine. I did end up getting a check engine light, but it did go off. Took it in and this is what they wrote up.

Performed EEC test retrieved P0299 tubro underboost. Test drove vehicle monitoring and recording PID data. Found boost pressure to exhaust early, ran OASIS found SSM 21305 which states that vehicle build before 4/5/10 may have a incorrect LY adjusted turbo wastegate. Using vacuum pump adjusted wastegate as per workshop manual 303-04D. Retest drove monitoring and recording PID data. Boost at proper level at this time. Found it necessary to remove upper intake manifole to perform operation. Post self test. Pass. Cleared coded. Vehicle operates as designed at this time.
That is the exact working on my repair sheet.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Mine just lost all boost. On highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your problem has been hapening to me its like u have two trucks. Truck A is powerful and fun to drive. Truck B has no power cannot get out of its own way. It was going on for two weeks or so it would run fine then lose all of its power until u shut off and restart. When u shut it off it clears the code. I had it at the dealer several times for this issue finally the diesel tech told me to bring it in when it was doing this he got his scanner and we went for a drive and it came up with low boost code. It is a silnoid of some sort.My part came in friday i am going to ford tomarrow after work and i can give u the exact code and more details. I hope this help you on ur truck because man this was a pain for me and it was happening all the time tell i restarted it. Oh ya and all i hear is no one has had a problem with these yet ha ha I just posted this at another place hope this helps

·
Registered
170 Posts
boost and trailer

i haven't been on in a while, been busy. I'll try the bungee thing. They replace my bed plug (didn't help)

I haven't lost boost, but i feel the boost doesn't kick in enough, unless i'm Really pushing the pedal???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your problem has been hapening to me its like u have two trucks. Truck A is powerful and fun to drive. Truck B has no power cannot get out of its own way. It was going on for two weeks or so it would run fine then lose all of its power until u shut off and restart. When u shut it off it clears the code. I had it at the dealer several times for this issue finally the diesel tech told me to bring it in when it was doing this he got his scanner and we went for a drive and it came up with low boost code. It is a silnoid of some sort.My part came in friday i am going to ford tomarrow after work and i can give u the exact code and more details. I hope this help you on ur truck because man this was a pain for me and it was happening all the time tell i restarted it. Oh ya and all i hear is no one has had a problem with these yet ha ha I just posted this at another place hope this helps
Hey alexstroker,
By any chance you have that part number? My truck acting funny, just like you described. Thanks

21 - 40 of 40 Posts