The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. New to the site. Have a 2001 F350 fleet truck with no brake lights. Few days ago, noticed the red light on the electronic brake controller stopped lighting up when brake pedal was depressed. (I bought this truck used, and the controller was installed when I got the truck.). Few days later, wife said no brake lights when following me home. Checked both bulbs, and found passenger side double filament bulb with top filament burned. Installed new bulb, still no brake lights. Next checked all fuses related to brakes. Found one 20-amp mini fuse burned. Replaced, but still no brake lights. Third, I replaced the brake light controller on the brake pedal. Still no brake lights. Any suggestions where to look next for the problem? Thank you all for any help you can offer me.

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Do your turn signals work properly? The brake lights run thru the turn signal switch. How about the center high-mount stop light? Did you check the bulb on it? It is on a dedicated circuit from the brake pedal switch.
The brake light feed fuse should be #13 (20A).
I would unplug the brake controller for diagnosis. Maybe it failed and is causing the problem.
Welcome to TheDieselStop :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do your turn signals work properly? The brake lights run thru the turn signal switch. How about the center high-mount stop light? Did you check the bulb on it? It is on a dedicated circuit from the brake pedal switch.
The brake light feed fuse should be #13 (20A).
I would unplug the brake controller for diagnosis. Maybe it failed and is causing the problem.
Welcome to TheDieselStop :)
I thank you very much, sir. The signal lights are not working correctly; the rear passenger side signal light is not working at the light, but is flashing faster than normal on the dashboard. I have not checked the center cargo light, but will do asap. The brake light feed fuse was blown (#13, 20-amp mini), which I changed. The upper filament on the rear tail light was burned, and I changed the bulb. I will also unplug the brake controller to determine whether that's the problem. Several years back, I replaced the multifunction lever/switch on the steering column. Again, thank you for taking the time to offer help.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
May I suggest we try TESTING for voltage beginning with the fuse and going down the circuit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May I suggest we try TESTING for voltage beginning with the fuse and going down the circuit?
Doc. I broke down and sent it to our mechanic. I replaced the brake light controller on the pedal, checked all fuses, and powe to the bulb bases, and the multi-function switch. Above my pay grade at this point. Besides, my wife's lettin' me use her '06 F250! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Did you say if the high mount stop lamp was working? someone pointed out that it is on a separate circuit than the tail lamps which is true... Over the years I have seen quite a few multi-function switches cause this concern and typically can be corrected by exercising the hazard switch to clean dirt from the internal contacts. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts