The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, trying to hook up my power wire for my brake controller run into this little problem, now i don't have any of the above, I checked every fuse, and power going to the fuses too. tried a new switch under neath the steering wheel colum and still nothing??
any ideas where can I start looking at?
thanks.

Oz.
00 powerstroke 5speed!

· Registered
920 Posts
You lost all of the above on the truck or trailer? If it's the truck you lost it on then it sounds like a blown fuse. The fuse location will be in your owners manual. My 03 manual says fuse #18 in passenger compartment fuse panel. If it's the trailer my manual says fuse #6 in the same location feeds the trailer tow turn/stop relay. I'm not sure if the fuse locations are the same for your 00 but like I said, your owners manual will tell you where the fuses are located. I'd check the fuses with a meter. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are blown by just looking at them.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i lost it on the truck,
my truck has the factory plug for the brake controller so i hookep it up (using a prodigy controller and hardness) but it had no power at all, so I checked for power on the connector and no juice on any of the wires. so my father in law run a wire for power, we tried and the brake controller worked, he also run a separete inline fuse for just in case. after we thought we were done I back up to hook to my trailer and that's when we notice that I had no brakes, tried the signals and don't work either, tried the flashers same deal, i got working only the headlights, low beam and high beam, driving tail lights and third brake light, interior lights are good too. like i said we checked every fuse, took one of his relays out of his truck and tried on mine and still nothing, under the steering colum there a switch box, we changed it that too with his and nothing. check the fuse connectors on the fuse box for power and they all got juice too.
please let me know if you need any more info, as you can see a\i'm not that good with electrical crap so i'll try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge.
I jsut got the truck about a month ago and it didn't come with a manual.
thanks again.

· Administrator
25,216 Posts
If you have no stop lights except the high mount one, your multi-function (turn signal) switch has a problem. All the turn/stop lights except the high mount one go thru the switch.

It's possible that you dislodged a connector or cut the wrong wire while you were working under the dash.

Do the front signals work, or are all of them gone?

The switch under the steering column forward of the instrument panel is the ignition switch, so that shouldn't be involved. The multi-function switch is mounted at the turn signal lever.

Send me a PM and I can get you a wiring diagram.

· Registered
345 Posts
HAve you checked the fuse box under hood? I know the fuses for 7 pin harness are in there. It's behind the air box towards the cab.
fourgonefishn

· Registered
100 Posts
Klhansen has described TO THE TEE what happened to mine.. At 45K no less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif A great test if this just happened you most likely move your wheel around (tilt) and get them back for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know we did tilt the wheel to make more room, i will try that.

we checked every little fuse back and forth, under the dash and under the hood, my buddy came over and he has a truck like mine 00 f250 2wd etc the same thing even the color, and we took all his fuses and relays and put them in my truck and nothing. we check to make sure they had juice and they did, I'm leaning towards what klhansen said about the switch, that sound like what my problems is,
anybody knows where can i buy this swicth besides the dealer??

thakns.

· Registered
905 Posts
Look here .

Dale is a good guy.

Tom

· Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem about 4 years ago on early 99. I only had a third brake light, but not other rear lights. I can't remember which one, but the connector was loose in one of the lights. I had to remove the rear tailight housing and found it. I did the same thing, I checked every fuse before I took apart the lights. Let us know what the problem was.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Look here .

Dale is a good guy.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

what a great service from that company, chris took care of me and he search and tried to help me figure it out, everybody came to the same conclusion that i had a bad multifunction swicth, i ordered from them, got it in the mail put it in and nothing, still dead. so i look around and the fuse #1 was a little loose, it wouldn't get tied, i took the whole fuse box out, made the connector tied and that was it, the fuse wasn't making contac with the fuse box.
thanks for the help everybody.

oscar.

· Registered
905 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Too bad you had to buy a part you did not need. At least you have a spare now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.