The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched high and low and cant seem to find a solution...

So for the past couple of months or so i have been blowing fuse 17 witch is exterior lamps,tow,parking lamp.
I know my tail light kept on going out with the dash lights.. I ran out of 15a fuses and put a 20 in, after about 10 min the 20 blew and i smelt something burning in my dash no fire just burning smell.
so i put in another fuse and now my rear lights work with no problems and no more blown fuses but my dash lights including steering wheel and temp control stopped working. Btw all the gauges work and always did so no problem there...

What can be the problem what wire did i singe? did i fry my instrument cluster? etc
Please help a brother out money is tight so taking it to someone right now is out of the question.. Plus whats the fun in that....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
When all else fails...check the third brake light, over the back of the cab. Pop the lens cover (two screws) and see if the whole thing has melted (yet)...if so, change it out for a LED. The third brake lights get HOT and melt if you brake hard like when towing large load downhill. Hope that helps. If it is okay, then you need to check not only the under dash fuse, but all of the ones under the hood. Good luck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
25,419 Posts
Need more info to help you out. What year is your truck? 99-01's have different wiring and fuse boxes than 02 and later trucks.

BTW, NEVER put in a fuse bigger than stock. But you already found out why that's not a good idea. You've probably burnt a wire in two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more info to help you out. What year is your truck? 99-01's have different wiring and fuse boxes than 02 and later trucks.

BTW, NEVER put in a fuse bigger than stock. But you already found out why that's not a good idea. You've probably burnt a wire in two.
mine is an 02
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,844 Posts
klhansen hit the nail on the head. Never replace a fuse with a larger one. With you smelling something burning in your dash indicates where your problem is now. You burnt something that was shouldn't be burnt such as part of a circuit board and the fix is quite possibly going to be expensive for the cost of a small fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
klhansen hit the nail on the head. Never replace a fuse with a larger one. With you smelling something burning in your dash indicates where your problem is now. You burnt something that was shouldn't be burnt such as part of a circuit board and the fix is quite possibly going to be expensive for the cost of a small fuse.
yea i know what you are saying but the fusses where blowing, so im not sure if im dealing with one problem or i just created another one...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,844 Posts
You are dealing with two problems now. They may be in the same place and then they might not be. The original short to ground that was blowing the fuses and whatever was burnt when you put in the larger fuse.

Fuses are sized to protect the wiring and not to just inconvenient you when they blow. When you place a larger capacity fuse into one that is designed for a lower one they you are letting more current go through the circuit which will burn up either the wiring where the problem is or somewhere along the line that isn't designed for the higher current.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top