The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you all in advance!
On my way to the lake and my truck lost power. When I came to a stop I was able to tell that the passenger side injectors were not firing. I checked the HPOP oil level and it was good. I pulled the ICP to see if that would change the idle, which it did.
Before I got it scanner, I changed fuel pumps (beans e fuel system), changed relays, checked all fuses and it still would fire. I even wired power to the pump directly so the pump would build pressure and once I removed the power, thb and pressure would go away. I removed my IDM and put it into my buddy's truck to see if it would fire on his truck and it started right away. Is this correct way to do it?
I scanned the truck with a snap on and no codes were shown. I couldn't get live feeds due to the truck not starting.
At this point I am lost. Could it be the pick up on in fuel tanks? Maybe a clogged line? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You don't need the engine running to get live feeds. Are you at least getting a P1111 from the Snap-On scanner? Which scanner is it?

Did you check fuel pressure while you had the fuel pump powered directly?

Other basic questions - Does the WTS light come on? Does the tach move while cranking? Any smoke from tailpipe while cranking?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't need the engine running to get live feeds. Are you at least getting a P1111 from the Snap-On scanner? Which scanner is it?

Did you check fuel pressure while you had the fuel pump powered directly?

Other basic questions - Does the WTS light come on? Does the tach move while cranking? Any smoke from tailpipe while cranking?
Nope. I didn't get a P1111 code.

Snap-On Verus Pro

Yes the pressure was built up to 60psi.

WTS does come on. Didn't pay attention to tach but will when I get home from work.
No amok from exhausts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
If you got no codes at all, then your device probably does not communicate with the OBS trucks.

Did you check for tach movement while cranking?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you got no codes at all, then your device probably does not communicate with the OBS trucks.

Did you check for tach movement while cranking?
I've been able to pull codes on it before.

I haven't checked that yet. I will today when I get home from work. If the tach doesn't move, does that indicate a bad CPS?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
_Generally_, no tach indicates a bad CPS, or issue with wiring from CPS to PCM. I've seen some reports from 1997 truck owners who say the tach doesn't move while cranking even under normal circumstances.

If the Snap-On device can pull codes, it should be able to get live data with key on, whether the engine is running or not. Can you set it up to read RPM?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts