The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to keep this short but the story is long. My truck is a 1996 7.3, it was my Dad's work truck. My nephew bought my Dad's business and the truck went with it. My nephew let the registration exp. and stop driving the truck. He said he would start the truck every now and then until the batteries died. The truck had been sitting for a few years was I saw it again and I needed a truck to use so I asked him about using the truck. He said it just needed batteries so we put new batteries in it, No start, no fuel pressure, so put in a new lift pump, no start. I stopped working on it. A year latter my nephew called and said he needed to move the truck and did I want it. I had it towed to my place. Because I knew it had been sitting so long the first thing i did was to drop the the tanks and clean the fuel system. The truck still would not start. I checked the glow plug relay etc. No fuel was going through. Having checked all the easy stuff I had it towed to the local dealer so they could put a scanner on and check things out. They said the fuel pressure was like 40psi and said it needed a new IPR so I let them put a new one in. Still no start so they did some more checking and said that it needed a HPOP. At that point I said stop and had it towed back home. I put in a HPOP and it still would not start. So I went back to the shop mechanic. He gave me some things to do, but felt like an injector or injectors were leaking to much. I couldn't get it started with any of his ideas. About that time I got sick and couldn't work on it for a while. When I got back to work on it I just decided to rebuild all the injectors. I figured if a few were bad others would follow. So I rebuilt the injectors and installed them and did all the steps to putting in injectors. The truck still won't start. I disconnected the relay glow plug relay and used starting fluid and it runs as long as you spray starting fluid. The HPOP reservoir I filled when I did the injectors. It has stayed full but there is no oil coming out of the injector or out of the bleeder screw. All I can think of is the replace HPOP is bad or some how the bolt to the camshaft through HPOP is loose I'm not sure where to go from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You need to start with reading live data to see what it is actually doing.
You could simply have bad wiring to the ipr.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to start with reading live data to see what it is actually doing.
You could simply have bad wiring to the ipr.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Thank you, That's why I took it to the dealer shop so they could check it out and see what the readings were.

·
Super Moderator
26,385 Posts
Not all dealers have qualified diesel mechanics. Just saying.
I agree with 79jasper on the wiring issues. You should check the torque on the HPOP gear bolt to be sure it's tight, but most likely the IPR isn't getting a signal to close off because of the wiring issue. Wiring issues to the IPR would show up with a code.
There's a slight possibility that you got a bad HPOP. There's a plastic check ball that will make it inoperative if it's missing or damaged. It's held in place by the small hex plug on the bottom of the HPOP, and if the rebuilder didn't have the HPOP in the right position (shaft down) when installing that plug, the ball may have been crushed.

·
Premium Member
15,048 Posts
It's getting to the age where every IPR I pull has the wiring insulation brittle and missing at the end. All you have to is look at it wrong and you have a short. Injector wiring harnesses use the same end so I keep all the old ones I pull and use those for my repairs. Solder and heat shrink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not all dealers have qualified diesel mechanics. Just saying.
I agree with 79jasper on the wiring issues. You should check the torque on the HPOP gear bolt to be sure it's tight, but most likely the IPR isn't getting a signal to close off because of the wiring issue. Wiring issues to the IPR would show up with a code.
There's a slight possibility that you got a bad HPOP. There's a plastic check ball that will make it inoperative if it's missing or damaged. It's held in place by the small hex plug on the bottom of the HPOP, and if the rebuilder didn't have the HPOP in the right position (shaft down) when installing that plug, the ball may have been crushed.
Thanks guys I very much appreciate. I will check those things and if that doesn't work I will find a shop with a qualified diesel mechanic. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts