The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No power in reverse

So when I first picked this truck up (1999 f350 7.3, 4x4, 4 door long bed, leveling kit 315/75r16)... I had no trouble backing on to ramps and things like that to work on it

But long story short a few days ago I had to push something and the truck simply didn't have enough power to push it and we're only talking about maybe 4,000 lb... It's simply could not back up so I put it in four-wheel low and was able to push it just fine no surprise there

I didn't think anything of it I thought maybe it was just my imagination

Anyway I went and parked and overshot a parking area as the truck is pretty long and ended up with my front tire on the other side of the parking stop... Between the 8-ft bed and the four-door this sometimes has to happen in order to not have half of the truck hanging out in the street

Well long story short when I went to leave the truck struggled to pull out of the hole

Well after I got the truck back home I checked the fluids and it was just a hair low... Nothing serious but I went ahead and topped it off, just wishful thinking I guess... The fluid didn't look bad at all smelled fine

So I threw a log 8" behind the front tires and tried to back over it again couldn't do it The rear tires broke loose and spun... So I put it in for real high and the truck simply wouldn't move it just didn't have the necessary grunt to hop over the 8" log

I've read all sorts of strange things, some people suggested a PCM reflash or even replace would correct it, others suggested that there were loose or even falling out bolts on the valve body... And more still suggested it was new transmission time The transmission seems to do just fine going forward

·
Premium Member
15,048 Posts
Reverse is geared higher than 1st, so there is a loss of power there. Low fluid can cause the torque converter to lock, so if you put it in reverse with low fluid, sometimes it will stall the motor. The real question is - when you're in reverse struggling over the log, are you slipping the clutches? Will the RPM increase with no corresponding movement? Reverse engagement is delayed somewhat compared to forward. A lot of people don't wait for it to fully engage before revving the motor which leads to excessive clutch wear over time. At some point, the clearances are such they won't lock down. Once they start slipping, they will burn up quickly. If you aren't slipping, you're just fighting that high reverse gear ratio these trucks are known for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's not really a rev necessarily it's almost like it's hitting a wall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts