The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm experiencing a lack of power and a kind of low growling noise whenever my truck has to pull a grade, or I'm driving head on into a strong wind. At first I thought it might be my front wheel bearings going bad, (since my rear wheel bearing just recently seized and broke my axle!), but I pulled the front hubs and repacked them and their fine. I'm wondering if it could be the turbo. I wont be able to check it out until this weekend, and I'm wondering what I all need to look for? Do I just pull the intake boot off and check the fins out, and check for too much play? Is there anything in the exhaust housing I need to check out as well?

Forgot to ad that this is on a 97 truck that is stock, E4OD. Not the truck in my sig.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would check the the turbo fins to make sure they are not nicked up and there isn't any play in the shaft. Is your filter in good shape? Also, you may check your fuel filter and screen. You may have a fuel restriction under load. Does it sound like the waste gate is closing, like when it is cold?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turbo fins look good, spins freely, no play in it at all. Air filter is in good shape, and I changed the fuel filter not to long ago, but I'm gonna clean out the filter bowl and all that good stuff and put a new filter in to see if that helps. I'll check the fuel pressure while I'm at it too. It doesn't sound the same as when the ebpv closes when its cold, just sounds like its working very hard and feels like I'm pulling a 10 bottom plow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine sounded like it was running in cold mode even when it was 85 degrees outside. It had no power and was getting horrible fuel mileage. The IDM on my truck was slowly going out. You can get one from autocomputersupply.com for about $325. I would find one that you can swap out first just to make sure that may be the problem. It took me about six or seven months to finally figure that out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts