The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Diesel Stop!

I have been lurking since I picked up my 98.5 Ford 7.3l 4 door long bed. I love the truck, it has been the nicest vehicle I have owned. (I am a motorcycle guy)

My issue, and why I am posting, is recently I decided to get a chip. I picked up a TS 6 position on order. First question I have is that I mistakenly gave the wrong code to the distributor. I gave them "UCQ4", but the code that came on the hand written business card as the default code is "VCQ8". (when I was craning my head into the small angle to read it, I read the V wrong. It seems they caught that mistake, but how far off is the 8?)

Super excited this morning I pulled the pcm, cleaned the contacts (both sides), plugged in the chip, and reconnected everything. (I disconnected the batteries, and had the key in my pocket.)

The truck turned over and started. I was very excited and let the truck idle when it just died. I turned it off and tried to restart it, the motor would turn over, but not start.

I turned off the ignition, pulled the chip, and the truck fired up in the stock condition. I thought, maybe I didn't clean the contacts perfectly enough. Plugged in the chip again and now the trouble begins....

With or without the chip, the motor cranks without starting. I will list the symptoms of each condition below. (I checked the #30 fuse, and it has continuity)

Without chip: "Wait to Start" light does not light up. "Service Engine Soon" light stays on.

With chip: "Wait to Start" light does not light up. "Service Engine Soon" light flickers and turns off.

Any ideas on how to drill down and find my issue?

James
Hayward, CA

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
the wait to start light is a dummy light. if its not cold it will go out quick. if the SES light stays on you have a code, get it scanned to see what the problem is.

I would call whoever you got the chip from and see if the chip is compatible. it is probably not.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
First welcome to The Diesel Stop James, now the truck needs to be scanned with a powerstroke capable scanner to retrieve the stored codes .
My guess is there is still some silicone on the contacts on the pcm , double check them, and try again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

Update* When I got to work, I called my local diesel shop and got onto the path of another mechanic that had a spare pcm that seemed to be compatible. It is off of a 2001, but all the other specs match. He was nice enough to let me borrow and test it out. Plugged it in and the truck fired right up. We came to a deal and the truck is running again!

As for the TS chip, I am going to send it to them to be tested. When I called, the rep was sure that is was lack of cleaning terminals that led to the failure. He said that the contacts must be cleaned/sanded down to copper. Will find out after they have a chance to look at it. Not too hopeful.

James
Hayward, CA

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
I do not think sanding down to copper is correct. If you do that you might end up with loose connections or bad connections, then you will have to re-tin the connector. I may be way off base but I don't think sanding down to bare copper is right.
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I had read as well, but when the rep was adamant that was wrong. He specifically said the instructions say to sand down to copper. I am reading them now, and they say remove the coating, use small screw driver to scrape, and make sure you get a clean connection. There is no mention of what type of metal should be exposed.

*I personally do not know what is correct either way. Just passing information.

James

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
ya you only want to remove the silicone. if you go all the way down to copper you run the chance of the chip never making good contact and being loose, which in time will fry your pcm if it wiggles loose while driving.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
^^^^2 what blue said .
When i fitted mine i just scraped off the silicone and all"s good , just keeps it tight , you still need to apply some race tape over it.

·
Super Moderator
25,641 Posts
what happened to your truck could you repair your fault or did you change the pcm
This is a pretty old thread. You may not get a response.
If you're having a specific issue, you'd be better off starting a new thread and completely describing your issue, including year, model, engine, etc of your truck (you can put that info in a signature that will appear at the bottom of all your posts.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts