The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so yesterday morning I went outside and started my truck. It cracked up first try and it was 23 degrees outside. I went inside top brush my teeth came back out and the truck had shut off and now it will not start. Glow plugs are under a year old, there is a monster glow plug relay that's not even two months old. I changed the cps today and the batteries have a full charge. The oil was low because of the good ole 7.3 leak so I filled it back up and still nothing. I changed the fuel filter Sunday but the fuel bowl is full and I am getting white smoke or the exhaust. I left the trucks block heater plugged in all day just to rule that out and still nothing. I tried starting it with the icp unplugged and nothing. I am really at a loss I am wondering about the ipr but I am not sure. Any dissertations would be great.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ok so yesterday morning I went outside and started my truck. It cracked up first try and it was 23 degrees outside. I went inside top brush my teeth came back out and the truck had shut off and now it will not start. Glow plugs are under a year old, there is a monster glow plug relay that's not even two months old. I changed the cps today and the batteries have a full charge. The oil was low because of the good ole 7.3 leak so I filled it back up and still nothing. I changed the fuel filter Sunday but the fuel bowl is full and I am getting white smoke or the exhaust. I left the trucks block heater plugged in all day just to rule that out and still nothing. I tried starting it with the icp unplugged and nothing. I am really at a loss I am wondering about the ipr but I am not sure. Any dissertations would be great.
Are you getting a WTS light? Fuses are good? Smoke from the exhaust while cranking?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
How low was the oil? If it was low enough that you sucked air into the system, it might take a little cranking to get it back out. Having said that, getting white smoke indicates you are meeting all the requirements for the injectors to fire (RPM, oil pressure, voltage, etc) and would point towards there not being enough heat to fire. That's a little strange given it not starting with functional glow plugs and the block heater plugged in.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
How low was the oil? If it was low enough that you sucked air into the system, it might take a little cranking to get it back out. Having said that, getting white smoke indicates you are meeting all the requirements for the injectors to fire (RPM, oil pressure, voltage, etc) and would point towards there not being enough heat to fire. That's a little strange given it not starting with functional glow plugs and the block heater plugged in.
Had to read the OP message 5 times before I finally seen that lol.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Happens to me all the time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't read the oil on the dipstick it got so low.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I changed my fuel filter on Sunday the day before I started getting all of these problems. I just drained my fuel bowl and left the drain open and tried to prime it and crack it and no fuel came out I opened the cap and it's empty.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
That's not good. How much fuel? Turn the key on and dive under the driver's side rail. Put your hand on the pump. Is it running? If not, check to see if it's getting voltage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pump is running, I filled the fuel bowl up all the way it still didn't start but none of the fuel went anywhere it was still full.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
How much fuel. If it's below 1/4 you might be sucking air if the foot is broken.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am almost at half a tank so fuel level shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also I tried draining the fuel bowl and it did not fill back up or shoot fuel out the drain tube when open and key turned in the on position.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Well, it won't start with no fuel pressure, no matter how full the bowl is. One test would be to pull the input to the fuel pump and run a hose from there to a container of fuel. If you get pressure then, you've got a tank issue. If you don't, you've got a pump issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys I got the issue fixed. I pressurized the tank with the hose going into the fuel pump pulled and it blew out a blockage. Now I am having an issue with my starter staying on regardless of keep position. It's an 02 so it doesn't have a fender mounted starter relay. Starter is brand new duralast gold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Changed the starter again and issue is gone thanks guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts