The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all this is my first post so thanks in advance maybe someone can help me
My truck is a 95 powerstroke with 170,000 mi and a 5 speed
I went to start er up this fall and it was a no go. I saw no smoke and smelled exhaust and concluded fuel issue.
I checked the filter bowl and it was full of yellow colored paint thinner smelling fuel.fuel must have spoiled or I got some bad stuff.The truck sits a lot.
Drained , dropped and cleaned both tanks.The only real noticeable issue was detached or broken off fuel pickup screens.Fixed and replaced those.
Drained , cleaned and replaced busted heater element in fuel filter bowl. Filled bowl with fresh diesel.Still no start. Replaced CPS . Still no start . Checked HPOP oil level and it was low so added oil to almost top.NS (no start).Found way clogged FPR return screen . I was about to reinstall this FPR unit when I thought about the IPR which sits below.Normally I like to go through 1 item at a time but because the access is getting easier I thought I might check into this IPR unit. Checked the HPPOP oil level one more time and it was down. Dipstick now reads quite overfull.
My question after all that background info is if a bad or faulty IPR cause oil drain down and a no fuel to cylinders situation.
With charged batteries and plugged this truck has always came to life and ran like a champ whenever I need it ,despite sitting for months at a time.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The HPOP is filled by the low pressure pump from the pan. It is NOT a closed loop. Adding to the HPOP only ends up filling the pan. It's possible the fuel in your rails and injectors looks as bad as the stuff that was in your filter. Might have to flush the entire system from the filter to the injectors. I have no idea how though.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clarify what is going on with the HPOP. I believe it should hold a level of oil in it at any time. All the oil seems to be draining down internally to the pan. Everytime I've changed the oil in this truck I have sucked quite a bit out of the HPOP. If it can't hold oil how can it build pressure?
As for the bad fuel in the injectors and rail it should have already been pumped into the motor for the amount of cranking I've done. Fuel system is lacking pressure and /or the injectors are failing to actuate .

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Injectors will not actuate without sufficient HP oil pressure. You mentioned replacing the fuel heater. Is the CEL illuminated? Is the Wait-to-Start light illuminating? If not, check underhood fuse #22. For the IPR, make sure there is voltage (12V) at the IPR connector with the key ON. Cheers!

·
Registered
783 Posts
First things first:

Do not pull the IPR! ...yet

Do as Patrick recommended and check fuse 22.
Check the fuel pressure at the Schraider valve on the fpr.
Unplug the ICP and try to start it.
Report back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys
All engine compartment fuses including #22 have been checked already, no problems found. CEL may flash when key is flipped but nothing abnormal. I really dont notice unless they stay on or come on when driving. WTS light has been working throughout. I'll do as you say: reconnect all that is apart, mainly FPR and some lines/connections and check the pressure at valve. It will be a few days before I get to it. Expect a report back in a few. Again thanks, all is appreciated.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had some bad injector orings that were causing my HPOP to drain down. I don't know if this can be your issue. Mine would start and run pretty good. It would take multiple starts of 8-10 seconds as the HPOP reservoir filled back up and then build pressure to start. If you can attach a gauge to the oil rails to see if you are building oil pressure as you crank or hook up a scan tool to see if you are getting pressure that would be a good start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put everything back together, filled the bowl with fresh diesel and cranked on it a lot. I had lots of juice.No dice.
I tried with the ICP unplugged and then it made a clicking sound.
The relief or schraider valve has very little pressure.
The HPOP must me almost empty as oil is still in the bottom of the engine(overfull)
The tanks are 1(front)@1/8and 2(rear)@1/4
What to do next?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure where the clicking sound was coming from as I was inside the cab.
The clicking was only heard with the ICP unplugged
I couldn't check pressure as I was inside the cab.
I will recruit a helper to crank so I can get better answers to these two questions.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Use a remote start switch on the starter relay.

Did you hear the clicking sound with just the key in the RUN position, or while cranking? Was it a single click, or repeated? If repeated, at what frequency/rate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Clicking was repeated while cranking similar to like lifters ticking rhythm.
Wife can play remote start no biggy there

The clicking is coming from ICP sensor area of valve cover

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What to do next?
It would be usefull if there were more solutions here than dead ended, I don't knows type posts.
I have searched similar issues and that is mostly what I find.
I am confused why truck would be expected to start with drained down HPOP.

·
Registered
783 Posts
What to do next?
It would be usefull if there were more solutions here than dead ended, I don't knows type posts.
I have searched similar issues and that is mostly what I find.
I am confused why truck would be expected to start with drained down HPOP.
Check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge.

If the hpop were completely drained, it would not start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have 97 7.3 no start bought it that way
same similar problem to the tee!, i set up a pressure test dead heading the hpop 0 psi i finally pulled the ipr it was missing a pin
so it couldnt build pressure. ive ordered a new one,after i install it ill let you no if this fixs the problem.
steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts