The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck starts up great and idles fine, but when you push down on the gas pedal nothing happens. I sent the computer in had it checked and reprogrammed to my VIN number. And I purchased a new throttle pedal assembly from Ford and installed it. But when I push down on the gas pedal nothing happens. Any suggestions on what else might be causing this issue. I'm just wondering if there is a sending unit or sensor or something that I haven't thought of. I'm not used to these type of diesel engines. This is my first turboed newer diesel, because all the rest of my Ford diesel trucks are idi's

·
Super Moderator
25,880 Posts
Did you check the fuses?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Is there a throttle position sensor? If so they do go bad
Said be replaced it.
Start simple with checking all the fuses.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a throttle position sensor? If so they do go bad
The gas pedal basically is the throttle positioning sensor, it is attached to it along with a small actuator switch. I had the dealership test it after I installed it and it didn't work. I also tried it on my friends truck and it worked fine. I tested all the fuses inside and in the engine compartment, no bad fuses. Trying to figure out if there is a series of other sensors or relays that work in conjunction with the TPS on the gas pedal to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
25,880 Posts
The APS (Accelerator Pedal Sensor - There's no gas pedal or throttle on your truck) communicates directly with the PCM. You might need to do a continuity check on the circuits between the APS connector and the PCM connector.
Here's a couple of diagrams that may help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay your diagram shows three sensors, I know there's a switch on the throttle pedal assembly that I know has no cable hooked to it, and something that looks like a throttle positioning sensor attached to it. Your diagram shows a third one that is the APPS, where is that one located? That is one that I have not replaced or checked because I didn't know that it was there.
I really do appreciate you helping me out with this, like I said I am only familiar with the older Fords with the IDI in them, I've used those since my first one in 1984 with the 6.9. after buying that one I never bought a gas engine truck again and have only owned diesels. I still have my f-450 that I bought brand new in 1991, and my 1993 f250 that I bought brand new in 1993. This truck that I'm working on now is a 2000 that I bought for 900 bucks and thought well hell it'd be cheaper to fix it then go buy a brand new one .

·
Super Moderator
25,880 Posts
There are two pedal assemblies, the earlier one with separate connectors for IVS and APPS, and a later one with a single connnector for both IVS and APPS combined. The APP Sensor wiring diagram shows both options, but you'll only have one or the other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your response, sorry but when it comes to wiring diagrams I'm a total idiot, I can rebuild any engine out there for a vehicle but honestly I suck at wiring that's why I'm having such a problem with this vehicle. And asking these questions. Because unless I call a tow company and have it towed into a shop which would make it even more expensive I'm trying to figure out other options and other ways to be able to fix this without doing that. Just out of curiosity the computer that runs the injectors and I know there's a couple other sending units that are on the engine the question is would those cause a malfunction to where when you push down on the gas pedals / throttle pedal or whatever you want to call it so that where you cannot get any response from it. Aside from the wiring . I would like to try and figure out the easy fixes first before having a delve into the wiring harness itself.

·
Super Moderator
25,880 Posts
If you've got a switch without wiring attached to it on the pedal assembly, you need to track down the connector that will connect to it. It's as simple as that. It may have gotten kicked loose somehow.
If you can post a couple of pictures around that area, we might be able to help you out locating it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you add photos? I have the pictures you requested but I can't figure out how to load them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts