The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 starts fine and idles for about 5-10 seconds, then bad rough idle with check engine light on. Sounds like not all cylinders are firing.

No problems until this morning, when it was idling fine for about 5 minutes. I towed a small tractor (35 hp) and trailer about 100 yards down a hill, parked at idle for 2 minutes to check the load, got back in the cab, shifted to D, pulled forward a tad and the monkey business started. Now it does as above - starts fine, idles for 5 secs, then rough idle with check engine light.

Any guesses? TIA

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would but almost all my marbles on a burnt valve cover harness. To test while it is runnin like crap pull the plugs that go into the valve cover harness and which ever one doesn't make it any worse than it already is that is prolly it. Same thing happened to me a couple years ago... someone will prolly swing in here with part numbers but I am almost positive that is what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I just read through the valve cover harness threads and it sounds like the right diag (although I check this out more thoroughly when I get the truck back up the hill).

Are there two sets of harnesses? Are they the same on each side - I'm only finding one set of part numbers which makes me think they're the same.

Also, sounds like it makes sense to service the GPs and injectors while I'm in there since a bad GP might have caused the problem in the first place - yes?

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
You'll find a burnt harness for sure, teh IDM is shuttign down one side when it sees a short, need to replace harness and teh GP that is under the burnt wire, I would replace all GP on teh one side if it si a part.

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
Change the valvecover gasket as well (they are usually toast if the connectors are burned). Valvecover gaskets are the same for both sides. Under-valvecover harnesses are all the same (there are two per side, four total). External harness connector shells are all the same (two per side, four total). Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts