The Diesel Stop banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have 2006 f350 6.0. About 2 weeks ago my truck broke down cause alternator. Just put a new one on it and started right up . It ran about 40 secs and died. Now it won't start it keeps cranking and sound like it going to but doesn't. I checked filters . The one on frame was black like a stain. I just put brand new filters on it about 4 months ago. Someone told me that the fuel sounds like it's got bacteria in it why the filter is black. One on motors fine. It has 1/4 tank in it . I've ran it lower before and was fine . Any suggestions

·
Registered
453 Posts
Take the cover off the secondary filter housing (the one on top of the engine). Cycle the key - with the cover off. The housing should be full when you take the cover off but I expect it won't be. When you cycle the key the housing should rapidly flood with fuel but again I expect it won't. A black filter is likely plugged so you need to change it again.

Your fuel pump on the frame circulates fuel through the primary filter and back to the tank. The effect of that is to clean the fuel but a side effect is that if you have contaminated fuel the filter will get plugged quickly. So you need to change that filter immediately but you can confirm that by doing the check of the secondary housing and fuel flow to it.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Take the cover off the secondary filter housing (the one on top of the engine). Cycle the key - with the cover off. The housing should be full when you take the cover off but I expect it won't be. When you cycle the key the housing should rapidly flood with fuel but again I expect it won't. A black filter is likely plugged so you need to change it again.

Your fuel pump on the frame circulates fuel through the primary filter and back to the tank. The effect of that is to clean the fuel but a side effect is that if you have contaminated fuel the filter will get plugged quickly. So you need to change that filter immediately but you can confirm that by doing the check of the secondary housing and fuel flow to it.
No. The HFCM on the frame rail pumps all of the fuel it draws through the primary filter directly to the secondary fuel filter on the engine. Fuel returning from the engine returns to the HFCM and depending on the temperature of the fuel, it either recirculates that fuel back to the engine or back to the fuel tank.

Reactions: bismic

·
Super Moderator
26,016 Posts
Closing this thread as it's a duplicate.
Continue the discussion here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.