The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 F350 with a 6.0 that I bought about 2 years ago. Here's a little history on the truck. When I bought the truck, it wasn't running. I found it had an injector stuck wide open and it was hydro-locking the motor. I replaced the injector and got the truck running for about two weeks.
After about two weeks of driving, the truck died on me. troubleshooting revealed a low HPO problem. After a lot of troubleshooting, I decided (possibly wrong but who knows) it was likely a HPO system leak. I got the new sct fitting, upgraded dummy plugs and oil tubes for the oil rails. I also bought a new icp sensor as the one installed snapped off in the oil rail.

Not long after the parts arrived medical issues came and "blessed" my family. That left me with no time to work on the truck. Anyways, I finally had time to work on the truck. After installing all the parts and getting everything put back together, I figured I was almost ready for a try. Before ranking it, I syphoned out as much fuel out of the tank as I could and replaced it with fresh fuel.
Time to crank it up. Started cranking the engine, and the oil pressure gauge doesn't move. 3 more attempts and the op gauge never moves. I pull the oil filter cap and filter, pushed down the oil drain check valve and cranked it over. After 4 more attempts of cranking for 10 to 30 seconds each time, still no oil in the filter housing.
After I bought the truck, I pulled all the aftermarket oil & fuel filters and made sure I had motorcraft caps. The oil level is slightly above the normal range on the dipstick.
The two possibilities I see are a bad lpop or the lpop pick up tube fell off somehow. Is there anything else that I am overlooking that would preventthe oil from filling the filter housing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for clarification, it was not running before I changed the STC fitting, dummy plugs, etc. I had the truck running for a couple of weeks. Then it died on me while driving it. I had a crank but no start condition. I was only building around 300 psi in the high pressure oil system. IPR appeared to be OK and ICP was working. The truck had a fairly new HPOP installed less than 1000 miles before I purchased it. That is why I focused on a HP oil leak and purchased the upgrade SCGT fitting, dummy plugs etc. The parts arrived but it was like a year and a half before I could get back to working on the truck. I was finally able to get back to work on the truck this week. Installed the new parts and reassembled everything.

While troubleshooting the crank no start problem, I verified that I had oil flow into filter housing. Now after I replaced above mentioned parts and a year and a half later, I am not getting any oil into the filter housing and am not registering any oil pressure on the gauge when cranking.

Hope this clarifies my 1st post. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the 6.0, does the oil flow from the oil pump up to the filter, then to the HPOP reservoir, or does it tee off to the HPOP reservoir before the oil filter? Could there be a leak somewhere large enough to prevent the filter housing from filling or is this a lpop issue?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The lpop is behind the harmonic balancer. Where it mounts to the front cover the is a small plug at about the 5 oclock position. This is the pressure regulator for that pump. Remove it and check that the spring and plunger is not broken or stuck open, not allowing pressure to build.

The flow of oil is from the pump to the filter houseing, part of the flow goes to the hpop resivoir. The HPOP gets its oil directly form the resivoir.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will look into it when I get on my days off. I'll post what I find when I'm done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you opened up the HPOP system wouldn't there be air in there that needs to work out before it starts? as far as why the Gauge isn't moving im at a loss for that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you opened up the HPOP system wouldn't there be air in there that needs to work out before it starts? as far as why the Gauge isn't moving im at a loss for that.
I think the gauge is tied to the LPOP, so if the oil filter housing is not filling up, that would indicate a possible LPOP failure, and would explain why the gauge doesn't work, right?

When I had crank and no start issues, I replaced HPO components (STC, standpipes, dummy plugs) and then put it back together. My gauge wasn't working when I cranked either, so I checked the filter housing. Mine was filling up, so I just cranked some more. Eventually, the gauge came up and it started after that. So I think you are right about the air in the rails being an issue. The filter housing should be filling though.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The tell all is the fact he is not getting oil to the filter houseing. The LPOP supplies the oil to the filter and part of it goes to fill the HPOP oil resivor[like a tank] gravity is the only thing that feeds oil from the resivoir to the HPOP itself. No oil in the resivoir no HP oil pressure possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the regulator on the oil pump. The spring was not broken and the plunger was installed in the correct position. I ran a magnet up where the plunger sits and did not get any metal out of it. I reinstalled the regulator. Cranked the motor for about 30 seconds or so without getting any oil into the filter housing. Batteries are dead now, so will have to get them charged up before I can try again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I go the oil pump out today. It did not look like it was wore very badly. no roller bearings or injector c clips in the pump or any other metal for that matter. I have a new pump and will install the new one anyways.

It did not look like the crank sleeve was fully seated. Does it look fully seated to you? There is roughly 1/4" gap between the sleeve and the shoulder on the crank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
How do the surfaces on both covers look scratches or worn spots can cause the pump to internally bypass and not build enough pressure. Min 45 - 55 ideal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very minor scratches on both covers. Minor scuffs on the top of the lobes of the inner gear. I think those are due to the prolonged cranking without pumping oil. I just finished putting everything back together with the new pump. I also installed a new outer cover. Gave the truck an oil change and new filter while I was working on the truck. I filled the space between the gears with white lithium grease. After cranking for 4 or 5 seconds the filter housing filled like it should.

As soon as I get my batteries charged up, I will see if she will fill the HPOP system and start for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts