The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'am new to TDS I just found this site recently and I'am hooked!! I tow a 30'TT in the summer months and I'am looking to do some upgrades. I plan to get gauges and a larger downpipe soon. I just purchased the (sonnax/tricumulator) and plan to install it as soon
as the weater breaks. What I'am wonder is where to go from there?
10K mod? EOT mod? chip? programmer? My rig is all stock with 167K
on it and it runs great I'am not looking to build a race truck just
want a little more somtin somtin when towing. I have never had it to
the stealer to be reflashed is this somthing I should do before I do
any Mods?
P.S. Thanks to this site I just uncloged my EBPS and saved big bucks
not taking it to the stealer.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Welcome to the site! I'm pretty new here myself. Lots and lots of info here!

Standard mods usually go in the following order:

GUAGES
AIR INTAKE
EXHAUST
CHIP OR PROGRAMMER

And you should also probably change out that torque converter while you're at it; they tend to go out in the '99s. And that Sonnax kit you're putting on there is supposed to be pretty good.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Start with Gauhes. This allows you get real monitoring of your Trans temp and Exhaust temps.

Then you add what you wnat from there:
Exhaust
Air intake
18K MOD (link in my signature)
and the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi all, I'am new to TDS I just found this site recently and I'am hooked!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to TDS
Be careful, TDS can be deadly to your wallet, most of the members here will help you with anything you ask. The information and some times the entertainment value is priceless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The downpipe in the 99 and latter trucks are not as bad as the 97 and earlyer trucks. Bang for the buck would be to change out the muffler for a Walker BTM or straight pipe. Gages are a great to have and needed if you add any extra fuel.
DENNY

·
Registered
165 Posts
I tow a 29' 5thwheel camper over 6,000 miles a year. This is also my daily driver to work ( about 13,000 miles a year). I'll second every thing imelmo said and add the Garrett Ball Bearing turbo.

I'm not a racer but when I go on a vacation I just want to tow the 5er as fast as I would be going when I'm in the wife's car regardless of the terrain.

Check my sig. This combo sure makes me happy.

When you install the Sonnax mod get rid of the Transcommand. The tranny won't like having an electrical mod raising the the line pressure at the same time you have a mechanical mod trying to do the same thing.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
I tow as well, and although my truck has the early Powerstroke, all the mods above can do wonders for the "pulling" experience! Personally though, having a selectable chip, and perhaps larger injectors can make that truck pull like no other!
I don't use mine as a racer either, but find that most hills are not a problem in the least at keeping a solid 70 MPH either!

Definitely want gauges to monitor whats happening under the hood and tranny though!

Dale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts