The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago, I noticed sporadic spedo readings typical of VSS issues. ABS light would come on, spedo would dive to nothing and then as quick as it stopped working, everything worked fine again. The symptoms were often short lived then progressively got worse over a month or two. I changed the VSS and inspected the wiring to it with no issues observed. Nothing changed, so I changed both sensors on the transmission. Still no change.
At this point, the truck now has no speedometer, ABS light is on and the overdrive light flashing. I inspected both front wheel sensors and the teeth inside with no issues noted. I have not yet checked resistance in the front wheel sensors to see if they are ok, but I cant see them being the issue as the spedo does not work and from what I know, they should not effect the speedometer.
One key symptom that I observed that may be key to someone being able to help me, is when things were still working sporadically, I noticed that if I was driving it wet weather, it would work better.
another key issue is my code reader no longer can communicate with the ABS module.
I am totally stumped. Does anyone have any ideas???

2000 F350 PSD dually lariat 4X4 126000 Km.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Is your truck equipped with RABS (rear anti-lock braking system or 4WABS (4 wheel anti lock braking system) Your 2000 F350 could have either system and the diagnostics are a little different. I would start by determining why you cannot communicate with the ABS module. Typically it is because the module has lost power or ground so starting with those circuits is a great place to begin. From the fuses to the connections to the harness for chafing, damage and water intrusion. That could explain the intermittent nature of your concern.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You may just have a blown fuse. I forget which one but one of them will give the exact symptoms you mention, no speedo or cruise, or abs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts