The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a95 f250 7.3 with the e4od. The od light was flashing with hard shifting when i bought the truck but only intermittently. After a month of owning it i was driving to get fireworks and the trans went into neutral but does hold in park. Bought a 2 wheel drive tranny and had a guy build one from the 2, mines 4wd. Got it together he drove it around the block fine then went to move it again and back to no gears. I replaced the neutral switch, brake switch and put a new cooler on it. I do also have a new valve body and solenoid pack but want to make sure to check everything outside the trans first. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Is it still hard shifting? Is the overdive light flashing? Have you scanned it for any codes? Even if the light is not on it would still be a good idea to scan it. You will need a Powerstroke capable scanner to check for codes cheap generic ones will not work and the ones at an auto parts store will not do it either. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not moving at all in any gear but holds in park. It's obd1, do you have a scanner you'd recommend

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's not moving at all in any gear but holds in park. It's obd1, do you have a scanner you'd recommend
If it's not moving at all maybe Mark Kovalski will chime in he is the E4OD expert on this sight. My 95 is a obd11 so i'm not sure on the proper scanner for yours. Maybe somoeone else, can reccomend a scanner for you.The times when my truck would hard shift one was speed sensor in the rear end another was a burnt out third brake light it litterally was melting the housing.Another time I had just had my windshield replaced and the nicked the wires that went to my rearview mirror and it ended up melting several wires going into my fuse box and it popped a fuse twice which was causing my truck to hard shift ended up having to get it towed to a shop but, at least I didn't have to pay for that one.The last time that mine had done that I was driving along it started hard shifting then it was like it went to neutral I had to coast off the road put it it park for a minute and then went to drive and I was able to make it home. It was a pain in the ass to figure out what was wrong it took about a week to find out that my Instrument cluster was causing the problem I sent it in to be repaired and it had a few cracks on the circuit board.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Ford didn't use OBD-1; that was a GM protocol. Older Ford trucks run on the EEC-IV system, as described in this caption:

(phone app link)

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Ford didn't use OBD-1; that was a GM protocol. Older Ford trucks run on the EEC-IV system, as described in this caption:
EEC-IV used the EPA's OBD-I protocol. It was my job at that time to program all of the transmission OBD-I functions in Ford's automatic transmissions. I had a crew of 10 engineers that reported to me that did the actual work, I just made sure they did it. And yes, it was OBD-I.

Back to the original problem. There is NOTHING electrical that can cause this. It's something mechanical inside the transmission. Something broke. We can all guess as to what broke, but no matter what it is the trans has to come out and get rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey mark could it possibly be the solenoid pack or valve body or is it most likely something else? Anything to look for inside the pan to point me in the right direction. Plan to dive into tomorrow morning

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Hey mark could it possibly be the solenoid pack or valve body or is it most likely something else? Anything to look for inside the pan to point me in the right direction. Plan to dive into tomorrow morning
Read what I wrote in the post right above yours. Here it is again: It can't be the solenoid body or the valve body.

There is NOTHING electrical that can cause this. It's something mechanical inside the transmission. Something broke. We can all guess as to what broke, but no matter what it is the trans has to come out and get rebuilt or replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts