The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright quick question. OD light on end of shift handle does not work anymore, whats the problem? ive pushed it nothing happens, also does it automatically go into OD, i really dont have a reason to ever go out of OD, i dont pull anything. and help would be appreciated. thank you

· Registered
920 Posts
When you kill the truck it will automatically be back in overdrive when you crank back up. Does the OD switch work while driving down the road? I mean does it funtion? Will it take the tranny out of over drive and then put it back in?
If so then it's probably just a bad bulb.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried it once and i didnt notice anything but ill go try it again sometime. im pretty sure it goes into overdrive b/c it will run about 1500 give or take a few at about 75, so it may just be the bulb. how easy are those to change?

· Registered
920 Posts
If you tried it going down the road at 55 mph or so you would defiantly know if it's working or not. If it's not then you have another problem.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what youre saying is get up to speed and push the button, it should downshift. been kinda scared to do that but ill give it a try. if i dont notice anything, then whats the problem. i assume its always in OD, never had any probs or noticed anything. i could live without the button working i guess.

· Registered
5,467 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
so what youre saying is get up to speed and push the button, it should downshift. been kinda scared to do that but ill give it a try. if i dont notice anything, then whats the problem. i assume its always in OD, never had any probs or noticed anything. i could live without the button working i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are at a speed that downshifting from OD to 3rd would cause a over rev condition of your motor. I think the PCM would ignore your "OD off" request until your road speed falls enough to safely downshift to 3rd.

Hammer

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just went out on the highway had it at about 50 so im thinking true speed was around 60 or so, hit OD button and nothing, i might have been going to fast and the pcm did just that and not let it shift. when i floor it though it will drop out of od so everything works fine, just no button, not a big deal to me. what is the way to fix it though if the button isnt working? thanks for all the help guys.

· Registered
49 Posts
Mine has stopped working also. I can put the trans shift lever in park, with the engine running, and I get the light to come on. As soon as I move the shift lever to D, the light goes out and the trans will not shift out of over drive. I think that I have a rubbing or broken wire in the shift lever or the over drive switch is bad. Will yours work when you put the gear selector in park? Anyone please chime in if you have experienced this problem.

· Registered
253 Posts
Broken or bare wire in shiftr handle.Very simple to fix.

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will that keep it from going out of OD then? how do you get the shifter apart, havent gone out to look at it yet. going on leave in a few weeks whenever my wife goes into labor, then ill get a chance to check everything out. she needs to hurry up hahah. thanks for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

· Registered
23 Posts
I have the same type problem going on. Mine will not come out of OD anytime, parked or driving. I removed the switch and checked it and it is good. It is a momentary switch according to Ford. Mine is changing states but will not it take out of OD. Any help here would be great.

Thanks
Dhuff1

· Registered
23 Posts
Ok hey is the deal, you have to take your ignition switch out to get the top of the steering wheel. Just take the bottom half off then put your key in and turn it to the run postion and push the release pin on the under side. Then when you get it all off look where it goes into the shifter lever, mine was broke rite there and it was very hard to get apart because you don't have a lot of wire to work with. Ford also doesn't sell just the pig tail you have to buy the whole shifter lever,without the switch of course but it's only $46.00 for my 01. Good luck and thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.