The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. l bought my F250 in early December. I drove it through the winter and today I notice that the chrome like finish is bubbling up at the edge of where the black plastic grip pads are. I am not going to the dealer to see what is up just yet as the world has shut down to the COVID issue. I am interested to know how many of you with OEM bright running boards who live in areas that have harsh winters are seeing the same issue. It looks like rust cancer in older vehicle fenders. This is the type of running boards I am referring to.

running boards.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting, I hear ya on the Covid issue.

I used to own an 04 6 leaker and than thing had factory ford chrome step bars. I live in the salt world of MN and them things still had a nice finish to them. The underside were destroyed from the rocks but the top side always looked good. My front and rear bumper were also chrome and held up flawlessly. I think with all those black tread things cut into the chrome area that is allowing a spot for the moisture to get in between the steel and chrome finish.

i bought these for my 2019 because my personal preference did not like the maintenance with chrome.

Unfortunately, once that chrome bubbles or flakes there is nothing you can do but strip it and have it redone. If its not that bad just see how it does, I know that those running boards on my 04 were trashed on the underside but literally almost looked perfect on the top side.

Anywho - as you can tell i'm a little bored with this old shelter in place decision so I can keep rambling for days cause this is all I have now, lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts