The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
SOOOOOO We need a lot more info on the truck. How many miles, any recent work on the engine, any mods, intake, ect. All of that can cause an issue. So tell us a story and add all the questions asked!!!! DENNY

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
They told you to check the intake filter, which is the likely cause of the higher silicon (dirt). If you've got a stock intake, check that it's sealing well. Open the turbo intake and check for grit in the intake tube. That's an indication of dust getting by the filter, possibly around the gasket.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought this truck last January to replace my 2000 f250 that I bought new. Poor old blackie made it well over 450,000 miles with just basic maintenance and good info from this site. Honestly, not 1 person ever touched that truck besides me but it rusted out bad.. I flew to Texas, paid cash and drove the “new” truck home. I had a few issues but it’s solid now. It’s a very well maintained 2000 f350 with 250,000. Not sure why but I made the switch to t-6 5w40. That oil analysis reflects a 2600 mile trip and my daily commute of 100/day mostly highway at about 80ish mph @ around 2200 rpm..only things I’ve done are injector orings, glowplugs and a new hpop.. Other than that it’s all stock, un-molested. Lol, sorry about the run on sentences I’m self medicating in honor of “Rona”

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kljansen,much respect! You’ve been helping me along for a long time. I do have an AFE intake with conical oil less filter. All connections are well fitting and tight

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
That UOA sure gives the Rotella T6 high marks.
How old is the air filter element? Is it the washable type? It could have a tear. It could have been washed aggressively by PO and has worn out.

This high silicone is a symptom of unfiltered air so atleast you know where to focus. As Kevin asked above, have you opened the turbo intake and looked for grit in the tube?

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
Also the possibility you kicked some of that top-end dirt into the engine while you were doing your work. It doesn't take much to wreck an oil analysis.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the intake tube off and found way more grit inside than I expected. Kinda shocking actually. I havnt been in any kind of dusty environment, just the usual paved road travels. I’m going to drop AFE an email and see what they have to say about it. I guess I might be going back to the factory filter and cover...seems to me that the analysis just paid for itself

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve seen and like the ais, just don’t want to drop the coin on it right now. I thought I had a high quality filter. I’ll probably go back to stock for now and see what AFE has to say for themselves

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
If you've still got the stock parts, you can install them, but if you have to buy something, the AIS isn't much more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts