The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, who is running an oil bypass filtration system?

Did you by a setup or build your own?

If you built your own, what filters are you using and what is the micron filtration specs? You mount base specs would be great as well.

I am trying to put my own together and trying to determine an assortment of filters to use that have the same thread specs to narrow down what filter base mount to buy.

I am having a hard time find filter specs to determine the part numbers for filters that will filter at minimum of 5 microns, I would love to get down to 2 microns. And, I understand the micron ratings and the difference between the "nominal" and the "absolute" micron ratings...

Also, are you using hydraulic hoses or using rubber transmission line with barb connections.

One last thing, I would like to dump the filtered oil back into the oil pan. Where would I find the fittings that I could thread into a hole punched in to the pan? I have seen this done and it looks very clean and secure.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I run the BPD setup, I believe they sell it as a stand-alone kit. Oil comes out of a custom primary filter cap, goes to the filter, then is routed to the oil fill cap. It's a fairly clean setup, I like mine. I use the Amsoil filter, can't remember the part # offhand.

You could probably build your own, but whatever setup you end up going with, I don't see the point of it unless you can get the very fine filtration.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could probably build your own, but whatever setup you end up going with, I don't see the point of it unless you can get the very fine filtration.
Agreed...

Me having two of these trucks, I try to do things a less expensive route. Provided I can get the proper filter ( and I might by the amsoil filter) I just need the base and make some lines.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The BPD kit had a fitting adapter so the filter would fit. I'm sure NAPA will have an appropriate filter base, tubing, etc, but you'll still have to source the caps.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've got the kit from Nuc Motorsports. I did a custom install under the cab and used hydraulic hoses. It uses the Amsoil filter as well. Just bought a box of replacement EaBP-100 filters from Amsoil dealer...maybe they have bases.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
If you maintain a Powerstroke you know Racor has been the supplier of choice for Nav /Ford for many years both for oil and fuel filtration.

Parker Hannifin used to be part of the company I worked for and I know their quality well, so I've been using their bypass filter for initially my 7.3 and moved it over to the 6.0 as well.

My version is the older LFS style that utilized a 1 micron woven filter. The newer design is much more accessible friendly with its t-bar lid and you can get filters of 2, 5 or 10 micron, but it sure is more expensive. I only paid about $100 for mine but also bought my own connection and hose setup.

To see how I set up mine on both trucks you can checkout my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.113742485373776.20648.104882132926478&type=3

Racor ended up putting together a kit that used the same connections that I did, including returning the oil to the drivers valve cover. You can still find some of the older kits at some retailers, here is a picture of the kit, but selling only the element example:

http://www.boatstore.com/racor-lfs-801bpe-cartridge-bypass-lube-oil-801.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120&gclid=Cj0KEQiAjZGnBRCOuJOUo9Xd0sUBEiQAPbicN7nEuHQFBPyy__8K7CBmEY0OZ1xDYzcfDFNb7Sut3asaApK68P8HAQ

While that link shows a 6.0 full kit, the part number may only be for the base filter. Racor has stated they will continue to supply filters for the older series.

Even a 1 micro filter only does so much and won't remove the elemental metals in the oil, just the larger then the micron rating of the filter. For a 6.0 it means there will be less abrasive particles in the oil, but the injector shearing of the oil will still decide the oils life cycle.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Yeah, the new version has that appearance.

But I would rather compare it to the compacted paper filter for the trans. Much different then a roll of toilet paper.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use the racor LFS-802 BPE and love it except for the new price of the filters. Now over $20 each when I use to pay $7. It filters down to 1 micron and adds 2 1/2 quarts of oil to my system. I built it myself and you cannot tell I have one.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you maintain a Powerstroke you know Racor has been the supplier of choice for Nav /Ford for many years both for oil and fuel filtration.

Parker Hannifin used to be part of the company I worked for and I know their quality well, so I've been using their bypass filter for initially my 7.3 and moved it over to the 6.0 as well.

My version is the older LFS style that utilized a 1 micron woven filter. The newer design is much more accessible friendly with its t-bar lid and you can get filters of 2, 5 or 10 micron, but it sure is more expensive. I only paid about $100 for mine but also bought my own connection and hose setup.

To see how I set up mine on both trucks you can checkout my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.113742485373776.20648.104882132926478&type=3

Racor ended up putting together a kit that used the same connections that I did, including returning the oil to the drivers valve cover. You can still find some of the older kits at some retailers, here is a picture of the kit, but selling only the element example:

Racor LFS 801BPE CARTRIDGE,BYPASS LUBE OIL-801

While that link shows a 6.0 full kit, the part number may only be for the base filter. Racor has stated they will continue to supply filters for the older series.

Even a 1 micro filter only does so much and won't remove the elemental metals in the oil, just the larger then the micron rating of the filter. For a 6.0 it means there will be less abrasive particles in the oil, but the injector shearing of the oil will still decide the oils life cycle.
There are three of these housing setups on Ebay right now for about $55. Hoses are not long enough for going under the cab, but that can be dealt with. Looks like the filter element will be about $30-40 depending on where I buy it.

So, I am looking at either getting these housings and completing them to with Teflon/SS Braided hoses OR just buying am Amsoil filter and finding a base (1"-16 thread) and completing them out.

I am looking at initial cost as I will be doing this on two trucks as well as availability of the filters and continuing costs.

I really don't think I can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
You might be able to 2x and get the price lower. I just took a quick look but they appear not to have the bracket. 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat stock bent to a U will get you that. Don't forget to price in the caps if you do it the way I did.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on pulling at the oil pressure sending unit, but I am going to dump back into the valve cover like you did. I liked that. Very clean.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
You could also pull from the oil pressure test port at the front of the intake manifold. Not as easy to get to but you can come around the side of the motor and Siamese the lines at the center of the valve cover onward.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could also pull from the oil pressure test port at the front of the intake manifold. Not as easy to get to but you can come around the side of the motor and Siamese the lines at the center of the valve cover onward.
Did not know this port was there. It would be nice to just screw into one port, rather than have to T into the pressure sender port.

Where exactly would one find this port???

I have decided that it is more cost effective to do the 6-month preferred customer trial and buy just the filter base and filter form Amsoil. Looks like it would be $124 before any tax and shipping for both trucks, minus the Teflon lines and any fittings. Found 4' Teflon lines on Ebay for $19 each. Will need 4. So, other than the necessary fittings for the engine side, that is just over $200 for both trucks. Don;t think that is going to be bad at all.

I am starting oil analysis as well, and if I happen to be able to do an extended interval and totally skip one scheduled change, the system paid for themselves.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks difficult to get to.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Yep.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
If you clink on the link he put in his posting to Discount Boating the price for the kit is $30.30. Also looking closely at the photo the bracket is included. It is one the filter in the picture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts