The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Epic Cowlick find a five gallon bucket with a screw on lid it makes dumping oil easy. If you know anyone with a pool who orders their chemicals in bulk they will have some. I have plenty of them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah, it's just a gadget. The thing I hate the most is emptying the 13 quarts from the drain pan into the oil jugs for recycling. It's always a balancing act pouring the old oil into a funnel while trying not to tip over the jug or overfill it. I'll store up a few milk jugs and just fill those with the hose from the valve. Should be drip free and no messing with the full drain pan. That's a plus?
Try this trick. I have an old 5 gallon gas can that fits under my truck. I drain the oil into it using the 3/8" tubing attached to my Fumoto Valve. I do have to use a catch pan under the oil filter. 'No way around that.
Also, try removing the oil fill cap on top of the engine, place the hose of your shop vac over the tube & turn on the shop vac. No. You aren't vacuuming any oil out of the engine. 'Just putting a little negative pressure (vacuum) on the engine internals. Now go under the truck, remove the drain plug & oil filter. No oil should drain at all, but have a catch pan in place just in case. When you remove or turn off the shop vac the oil will drain normally, but you won't get any on your hands or make a mess. I have even removed the drain plug & installed a Fumoto Valve for myself & for others between oil changes & never spilled a drop using this method.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
You guys are going to an awful lot of work.

I just use a 5 gallon bucket, take the plug out and catch the oil.

Filter, loosen slightly, jamb a screw driver through the bottom, let drain for 15 min, remove filter.

Not 1 drop of oil on my driveway.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I had no issues with changing oil at every 3 or 4k miles for 125k on my 2011's plastic yellow drain plug.. liked it actually was very easy to do.. I have the EZ type valve now and don't like it... takes way to long and have to fool with the hose,etc. I have a large FloTool 58qt that works well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I did a second oil change and this time I used the slick little valve that I installed the first time around. I have to say it's pretty effortless. I used a 3/8 inch vinyl tube stuck right into an old yellow diesel fuel can, opened the valve and it was done in 15 mins. I left it there for another 5 just to see if anymore oil came and and no. I still used a little catch pan for the filter but like stated above, I don't see a way to do that easier. Best part is that I didn't have to pour the contents of that huge, heavy drain pan back into the empty oil jugs. First time I've done an oil change without some oil on my hands and at least a few splatters on the floor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As a boater, I've owned a 12v boat oil change pump setup for 15 years. On the boat, it's used to draw oil back up the dipstick tube (because you can't get underneath an engine down in the engine compartment). Anyway, the motor is bolted to the top lid of a 5 gallon bucket. It is reversible so that you can draw the oil out the engine, then pump it into your waste container. It makes it very easy to get the oil out of the drain pan after draining your car/truck oil. No more mess, no worrying about balancing pans and pouring into waste containers. Pricey, but everything "boat" is.

boat.jpg

21 - 26 of 26 Posts