The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running about 5k mile change intervals with Royal Purple synthetic. Per Blackstone analysis, I could be going a good bit further. Is there any reason why I shouldn't run 5k, drain 4 or 5 quarts, top off with fresh oil, and run to 10k before doing a complete change? Would my big powerstroke filter (Napa gold, FL1995) handle 10k? Thanks. I drive about 9k miles a year if that's relevant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You should either change your oil or not. What you're proposing isn't efficient or worth the effort, imho. I have no experience with RP but do know it costs a good bit more than what I'm paying for oil. If your analysis says a good bit more, try another analysis in 5K miles. You might be able to get 10K and 1 oil change a year. I wouldn't personally run any oil further than 10K miles in my truck. I change it every 5K whether it needs it or not.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should either change your oil or not. What you're proposing isn't efficient or worth the effort, imho. I have no experience with RP but do know it costs a good bit more than what I'm paying for oil. If your analysis says a good bit more, try another analysis in 5K miles. You might be able to get 10K and 1 oil change a year. I wouldn't personally run any oil further than 10K miles in my truck. I change it every 5K whether it needs it or not.
Other than the hassle, is there anything else inefficient about doing this? I kinda see it as the peace of mind that I need to run 10k between complete changes.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I wouldn't bother with draining any. Did Blackstone give you a recommendation, or are you just going by the numbers? If they're still very good at 5K I'd most likely go to 10K, send in a sample, and change the oil & filter. Or send in a sample at 7.5K if you're not comfortable going to 10K.

You have to remember that when these engines came out the current API spec was probably CC or CD, and lube technology has come a long way since then (so have air & oil filtration, for that matter.) Even dino juice should be good for well over 5K for all but severe service today. But analysis numbers don't lie.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd like to see your report versus the Dello one I posted a couple months back?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts