The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I can't remember what my 99 7.3 holds is it 14 or 15 quarts? And would anyone know the motorcraft filter number off hand? Thank you much

·
Registered
56 Posts
15 Quarts with filter change...filter #1995 available at Wal*Mart or AutoZone for 10 bucks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm seeing a new oil I haven't seen. I usually run t6 but I'm seeing t5? Anyone kno much about t5

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rotella T5 is synthetic oil 10W-30.
Rotella T6 is synthetic oil 5W-40...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Say probably t5 for summertime weather or winter. This is actually the first time I've seen it at Walmart. I went ahead and bought my t6 oil but I'm curious about the other

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is only my second oil change on this truck. I sent off a sample of my old oil with 5,000 miles to blackstone labs so we can see what kinda shape my motor is in. I noticed after I changed my oil my boost levels which are usually at 7 at 70mph were at 10-12.... So my turbo is spooling a little more. Same oil as my first oil change when j got the truck. T6

·
Registered
56 Posts
ArcticDriver...correct, T5 is a synthetic blend...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes yes I know that's it's a synthetic. But has anyone noticed boost increases after a oil change? And my main question was the weight of the oil t-6 or t-5... Which one is better for winter weather

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Hi, the only way I can see how that could happen, is a turbo who's bearings were gummed up and the syn cleaned them up freeing it up some.
You want t6 if it's going to be brutally cold (single digits and lower)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Maryland... I wasn't sure how many people were gonna keep telling me it was synthetic oil that I already knew lol. Makes a little bit of since. Turbo is sounding great. I will intact be rebuilding it because it leaks a little oil on my fire wall... But I'm digging these new boosts numbers after this second oil change since I've had it,

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey marryland. I've also noticed the truck will have sudden power increases will driving... Not to sure what that it about... I'm liking that tho

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
You probably had injector stiction from old oil and long intervals. The injector won't pump oil, with 7.3s it's usually in the low end. It'll feel like a miss until after 1500, Then it comes alive. Changing oil can make dramatic differences and thats using any oil. Sometimes it takes Rev X or Hot Shot to bring them back and some won't come back. Synthetic cleans really well and is super slippery.
So if you brought some injectors alive that were dead at a certain range, you will make more heat, more heat can mean more boost.
I'm just throwing out two possibilities for boost gain, post oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Thanks Maryland... I wasn't sure how many people were gonna keep telling me it was synthetic oil that I already knew lol. Makes a little bit of since. Turbo is sounding great. I will intact be rebuilding it because it leaks a little oil on my fire wall... But I'm digging these new boosts numbers after this second oil change since I've had it,
Full Synthetic and Synthetic "Blend" are not the same thing. They can be two very different critters. Thats the reason folks make a distinction.

The T6 is advertised as "Extreme Temperature Performance" while the T5 is not.
Like Nick said, single digits (and probably even low teens) the T6 is going to offer better flow at start-up.

Cheers

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Arctic driver for explaining it more detailed. I'm new to synthetics but now ill kno the answer is someone asks me about t5. As for Texas around here I like like 25 degrees was as cold as it got last winter. I heard One time if you want to find out if your motor has any leaks to run synthetic... Then also like mentions it's easier on the motor at cold start...but the only leaks I've noticed really is from my turbo. After I send off this oil sample I'll see how my motor is doing internally:

thanks guys

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yessir I've tried running hot shot once before... I believe I'll give it another go. Right now I've got about 2qts 2 stroke oil in a full tank and what was left of some diesel clean. (Not much was left)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts