The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
It's been a while since I've posted. Still have the 01 7.3 in my sig and it's been running great! We only put a couple thousand miles on it per year and I change my oil every 5000 miles. I've been using the Rotella T6 (5-40) synthetic for years and years and it's due again. Last time I changed it was in 2017, almost 5000 miles ago.

I found a note that I wrote myself (about a year ago I think) in my truck that says: "When it's time to change the oil, find out if T6 is still ok after they changed the formulation and rating from CJ-4 to CK-4". I must have been surfing and found the CJ4/CK4 discussions...

So...is the T6 still good to go in my 7.3? I know the CK4 formulation is supposed to be better for the newer trucks to make the emissions cleaner, but to be honest, I really just care about the longetivity of my 7.3 diesel engine.

After an exhaustive search, I've found nothing but speculation and opinion. Would like to hear from you guys.

If the T6 is NOT ok...what is suggested?

Thanks in advance!
Randy

·
Registered
998 Posts
Lots of guys here still using it. I never heard of any problems with it. I don't use it, my truck doesn't like it. If they come out with a 15/40 synthetic, Id try that.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
Walmart has 15/40 T6 synthetic on the shelf
For HDEO, I usually just hear of T6 in 5w40 (Full synthetic) or T5 in 15w40 (Semi-Synthetic).

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Walmart has 15/40 T6 synthetic on the shelf
Not in Canada. No such thing as 15/40 synthetic up here. Only 0 and 5/40. Had to get royal purple one time. It was all that was available in synthetic. Its crap, never use again. Up here the 15/40 is the T5.

Thanks for trying to help though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The T6 15/40 was just recently introduced by Shell and is now available in some areas. 5/40 is better for cold weather starts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ran the "new" T6 formula in my truck once and noticed absolutely no difference from the previous one. That being said Last oil change I switched to Mobil TDT synthetic. it is 5-40 synth as well. I paired it with a mobil oil filter vs the motorcraft 1995 that I usually run....(availability was main reason for switch not that I had eve had an issue with either the oil or filter)

I will say that I think the mobil TDT oil stayed cleaner for a fair amount longer than the T6 did.... for whatever that is worth... as far as performance or noise..cant really tell a difference

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
The T6 15/40 was just recently introduced by Shell and is now available in some areas. 5/40 is better for cold weather starts.
Good to know.

Thanks, I am reading about it now on BITOG.

I may switch to this in my bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
And page 9 of Fords Approved oils does include T6 15w40.

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
I will say that I think the mobil TDT oil stayed cleaner for a fair amount longer than the T6 did.... for whatever that is worth... as far as performance or noise..cant really tell a difference

Just because the oil stays "cleaner" longer does not mean that it is doing it's job. You can have oil that is a black as night and it will still be working, keeping its viscosity and additives that it started with. Clean oil can break down and loose both and still look like the day you poured it out of the container.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
I ran the "new" T6 formula in my truck once and noticed absolutely no difference from the previous one. That being said Last oil change I switched to Mobil TDT synthetic. it is 5-40 synth as well. I paired it with a mobil oil filter vs the motorcraft 1995 that I usually run....(availability was main reason for switch not that I had eve had an issue with either the oil or filter)

Oh Ok! That's good info. SO, the T6 is better then. Havnt tried mobil myself but knowing it does a terrible job cleaning my motor is good info. Cant imagine leaving all that crap in my super motor. Spent a lot of money on this puppy.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was running Rotella T6 5W-40, but that was before CK-4 oils came out. I still had a pretty good stash of CJ-4 oils to work with, but I've only got enough for one more oil change.

I'll steer clear of CK-4 oils. Here's why:

Next time I buy oil, it'll be Schaeffer Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic Oil 5W-40, it's still CJ-4, for now. If I'm on the road and need oil, I'll stick with the WSS-M2C171-F1 oils with the Motorcraft logo on the bottle.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Thanks, Ill look for the 15/40. As stated earlier. My truck cant stand 5/40. It doesn't like it at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts