The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I've pulled my oil cooler a couple of weeks ago to rebuild it because I was getting a smidge of oil in the degas bottle and got the o rings and gaskets from the local International dealer, put it all back together and no leaks in my heated shop, park the truck outside for a day at 32 degrees fahrenheit and now when I start it from cold it leaks oil from the gasket where it bolts to the timing cover, and stops leaking after warming up.

After having this problem I did some reading and found some guys are saying there's a difference in oil coolers (Ford vs International) so I bought the front gasket from the Ford dealer and it looks identical to the International gasket...

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,189 Posts
Did you prepare both surfaces? Its not unusual for that front cover gasket to get pitted since its made of aluminum. I always smear a light coat of Permatex black on both mating surfaces. Just a film. I've never had a leak doing that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I scraped the surfaces clean with a razor, and cleaned the surfaces with brake clean. There wasn't any pitting so i didn't think there was any need to put any rtv. I have a part tube of the International oil pan sealant(Elastosil A442)... I guess I'm putting some on.

Are there any differences in the gaskets?(Ford vs International) they look the same. I plan on measuring them when I disassemble them tonight.

·
Premium Member
15,189 Posts
No- Ford buys the kit from International and puts it in a very expensive blue bag.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I changed out the gasket, apparently there is a difference between the Ford and International gaskets. The photo showing the two gaskets with the International on the left and the Ford gasket on the right, the material the Ford gasket is made out of is much more pliable compared to the black material the International is made from.

The rear gasket from International is constructed from identical materials that the front Ford gasket is, which I find strange that they didn't just do both like that.

No more leaks with the Ford gasket and I didn't have any pitting on either surface, maybe there's something different going on in an International truck or bus that requires a different material. I've seen busses with a 7.3 and the power steering pump is mounted up by the hpop reservoir rather than being belt driven.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts