The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm about to pull the oil cooler due to an oil leak. I plan on removing the whole thing so I can put it back together on the bench to make sure the orings go in right. The question I have is should I use any type of sealant on the gaskets where the 2 ends bolt on?
I heard it's a messy job so I'm going to pick up a mortar mixing tub to catch any remaining fluids. Any other tips?
Thanks,al

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just did mine, the bench should work for you with a bit of grease on the o'rings and no sealant on the gaskets.
Check out the videos on Utube on this repair.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I recently did mine too. I tried it as the video online showed and I could not get enough pressure on it to get it back together with the front part still on the block. I ended up taking the whole thing off and putting it together on the bench. Just grease the o-rings and you will be good to go. It was much easier to get back onto the engine this way. I did not use and gasket sealant and have had no problems. dont believe there was any on it originally either.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
The header to block gaskets are coated with material that acts like sealer (kind of like an o-ring connection), so no gasket sealer is needed (assuming they're aligned correctly).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great guys! Thanks so much! I'll tackle the job on my next day off. In the meantime, I've found that if the block heaters plugged in it doesn't leak as much so I guess I'll leave it plugged in..

·
Registered
898 Posts
I did mine two mounths ago just like the video. I never removed the bolts on the front and it worked like a charm. If you plan on changing out radiator fluid make sure you drope hoses to get all the fluid out. Make sure you have a flat bar or long screwdriver to press it back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts