The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally back in civilization.
I just changed the oil on my 7.3 and used my last new copper washer.

I stopped at Ford to grab a few more and they are $8.72/each and I don’t recall where I bought my last bunch from.

What are you guys doing for an alternative? Switched to that PVC from AutoZone? Using aluminum? Ordering off Amazon?

P/N appreciated.

BTW, had a PM from Googs. He wanted me to pass along a hello to all his friends here.

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
Fumoto Valve.

It has been on my truck now for over 20 years and zero problems.

But if you still want the washers check out NAPA

·
Super Moderator
25,087 Posts
What bugman said. Get a Fumoto valve and don't turn back. You'll never need another overpriced washer from Ford. I've had my Fumoto for at least 16 years.

The only issue I've had is I needed to take my truck to two oil change places and they didn't understand how a Fumoto valve worked and buggered up the lever with a pair of pliers. :icon_mad: Found that when I changed the oil after my 12,500 mile road trip to the lower 48. I'll need to dress that sharp spot up next time I crawl under.

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
X3 on the Fumoto. How is Googs, really hope he is doing well.
Bill

·
Premium Member
14,502 Posts
Search "O.E. #F3DZ-6734A LOT OF 50 DP7409PK - Metal & Rubber Ford Washer Gasket 14mm" on eBay. You can get a bag of 25 for $14. I would love to have the Fumoto, but I have scrape marks on the bottom of my oil pan from driving around in the fields and I just don't see how that valve sticking straight down would survive.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I bought a copper seal washer assortment from Amazon for about $10 and it included various metric dimensioned washers in sets of 10 that fit my trucks and my cars. $8.72 for a single copper washer not only beats Volvo, Benz, and BMW price for a drain seal, it also is more than John Deere charges for such things. I smell a FOrd dealer with matrix pricing scheme in play.

The copper washers I got all work fine and nothing they are used on leaks.

I bought a package of 25 of the 14mm ID aluminum washers for $6 shipped aa few years back from Ebay and those worked just fine until I used them up. I even used a 14mm spark plug seal unscrewed from an old spark plug once when I changed when I removed a wet plug and the seal was all kinds of mangled but I had no seals on hand. The spark plug seal sealed just fine.

I had a truck in with a Fumoto years back and it was struck, bent, and leaking and scared me away from those.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I ordered the washers RT referenced on his post. Also, I found a couple older threads on other sites that said the Fumoto valve threads extended farther up through the pan, allowing old oil to pool around the bottom of the pan, leaving built up gunk and deposits. 😳 Just what I read

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
While the valve does extend slightly up into the pan I have no problems using it. You don't get 100% of the oil out of the pan unless you pull the pan with any method. Also if you drive the vehicle to get the oil circulating enough most of the crud will be suspended in the oil itself and not sitting on the bottom of the pan.

As for damage to the valve, I have taken my truck into places that a full size diesel truck does not belong and I have had no problems. I even have a few scrapes and scratches on the bottom of my pan from driving over brush. But if you look at the location of the valve itself you may have bigger problems if you hit something that would damage it.

I have also never seen first hand of any problems with it as far as damage. It always comes from second or third hand sources. I am not saying that it can't happen but the odds of it are very slim and as I mentioned if you are hitting things that close to your pan you will end up with other problems no matter what you have there.

·
Super Moderator
25,087 Posts
I'm with bugman on the possibility (or lack thereof) of damage to a Fumoto valve. On my truck it's located a full foot above the front pumpkin and maybe a foot behind the sway bar. When I do oil changes, I slide a 5 gallon bucket underneath (it just fits unless I have the camper on, in which case I need to jack it up a bit.) I would consider the possibility of damage extremely remote. It would have to be buried more than axle deep in mud. Like bugman said, you'd have more problems than just the Fumoto if that happened.

·
Premium Member
14,502 Posts
That may be the difference - 2WD vs 4WD. I have no front pumpkin to catch boulders with and I couldn't slide a 5 gallon bucket under my truck unless I cut it in half first...

·
Super Moderator
25,087 Posts
LOL, I thought EVERYBODY who drove a truck had a 4x4. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
14,502 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
I go to the local Home Depot and grab a hand full of copper or brass washers. Both work great, never had a leak. I think it was 2 bucks for about 30. Not like its a special copper or anything. Lol.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I go to the local Home Depot and grab a hand full of copper or brass washers. Both work great, never had a leak. I think it was 2 bucks for about 30. Not like its a special copper or anything. Lol.
Actually I think it is a special copper. It is more malleable than a copper washer from a hardware so it forms to the oil pan and then is work hardened as it is tightened down. Thats why they are probe to leak when used more than once.

I think better to go with a nylon type.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
Before the internet and vehicle forums I used the same washer over and over again in my vehicles with zero problems.

Perhaps once the internet showed up the washers were not as good as the old ones were.

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
I've used the nylon ones year in and year out, they last forever, never saw a need to replace one. Same with copper and the red fiber types used in engines in truck shop I worked in.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Actually I think it is a special copper. It is more malleable than a copper washer from a hardware so it forms to the oil pan and then is work hardened as it is tightened down. Thats why they are probe to leak when used more than once.

Yup, soft copper. Plumbing section Home Depot. I do like the nylon. Only reason is my son does my oil changes now, so its added insurance he's not going to strip the plug or threads, the nylon breaks first. BUT, still have a hand full of copper ones from home depot, so ways to go before that. Hope he doesn't strip my pan. lol

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Before the internet and vehicle forums I used the same washer over and over again in my vehicles with zero problems.

Perhaps once the internet showed up the washers were not as good as the old ones were.
Ah...an interesting correlation...Lol

I wonder if Ford was charging $8 before the internet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts