The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hope he doesn't strip my pan. lol
Thats my concern!
Except I am worried I will strip my oil pan.

I re-used a copper washer and had a fine layer of oil on the bottom of my oil pan for the first time. Thats what got me thinking about this.

As for the Fumoto mentioned earlier, my fear is I will snap it off. Been doing alot of ranch/forest service road this year with rocks and ruts.

Just rode through big fresh snow this weekend at Rabbit Ears Pass and then the Snowy Range this morning.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've done about 35 oil changes on my truck and today was the first time I ever replaced the copper washer. It did look like it was due... or overdue.

·
Super Moderator
25,209 Posts
As for the Fumoto mentioned earlier, my fear is I will snap it off. Been doing alot of ranch/forest service road this year with rocks and ruts.
All your trucks are 4x4. I wouldn't worry about snapping them off as I mentioned earlier.

If you're concerned about leaking copper washers, they can be reconditioned by annealing them. Just heat them cherry red with a propane torch and let them cool. They're now soft copper again. Of course, once you have a seep with one, it's too late to replace it.

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
Thats my concern!
Except I am worried I will strip my oil pan.

Just rode through big fresh snow this weekend at Rabbit Ears Pass and then the Snowy Range this morning.
As for stripping it you will strip the bolt before the pan nut since the bolt is a softer metal than the pan nut.

On the Fumoto valve, you should go for a ride with me when I am out and playing around in the wilds. That is where I will say that if you do happen to snap it off you have bigger problems than just the valve. Just crawl under your truck and take a look at the location of the drain in relation to everything else that is going to get damaged first.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've done about 35 oil changes on my truck and today was the first time I ever replaced the copper washer. It did look like it was due... or overdue.
That might say more about you than the washer...Lol

Seriously though, I would lose sleep doing something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As for stripping it you will strip the bolt before the pan nut since the bolt is a softer metal than the pan nut.

On the Fumoto valve, you should go for a ride with me when I am out and playing around in the wilds. That is where I will say that if you do happen to snap it off you have bigger problems than just the valve. Just crawl under your truck and take a look at the location of the drain in relation to everything else that is going to get damaged first.
Thats good to know about the pan threading.

I believe all of you about the Fumoto being safe from damage...but if you knew how my last two years have played out, then you would believe me when I say mine would be the one in a million that gets hit by a rock.

Thanks for all the participation in the thread.

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
I have been known as a person that can break anything if it is possible to break it. And I have proven it to those that think that by doing just that.

Perhaps that is why I have a small machine shop in my garage. To fix what I have destroyed.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
klhansen said:
If you're concerned about leaking copper washers, they can be reconditioned by annealing them. Just heat them cherry red with a propane torch and let them cool. They're now soft copper again.
What Kevin said- all of our fabricated parts (Olin Brass) are annealed after about two processes of extrusion, Copper and Brass Products. However, after a couple uses of the oil pan washers I believe they would get a groove or wear pattern that might lead to problems.

·
Super Moderator
25,209 Posts
What Kevin said- all of our fabricated parts (Olin Brass) are annealed after about two processes of extrusion, Copper and Brass Products. However, after a couple uses of the oil pan washers I believe they would get a groove or wear pattern that might lead to problems.
Yeah, the grooves prevent you from doing the anneal process more than once or maybe twice.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thats what I enjoy so much about TDS...in-depth reviews of even something that first appears a simple copper washer.

:winking:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thats what I enjoy so much about TDS...in-depth reviews of even something that first appears a simple copper washer.

:winking:
Agreed! And thanks to all the comments, I went ahead and ordered a fumoto. Great timing too...I was planning on changing the oil this weekend and it's in the mail today!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts