The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hope everyone is having a blessed day.
I have a 2000 f250 7.3l 4x4 with 334,000, showing. To say the least whoever had it before me did not take care of it. I love my truck. I have been working on it for two years.
I thought I had finally started going to the good on it. And then I noticed oil and of course smoke coming from tail pipe. I just replaced the turbo but it looked like it was leaking on the ebpv rod, so I did a delete. Still had oil from the tailpipe, just not as heavy. But the other day I started it up after replacing the o rings on the block and pedestal. It was running fine for about 7 minutes. When I went to see why it died the entire crankcase and HPOP contents were on the ground. My exhaust Y pipe seems to have alot of oil in it. I refilled everything and started it up. I could see oil running over the pedestal and pouring out of the right side exhaust tube. (Didn't have the flange tight enough). I'm stuck on what to check or to repair. Help please. Like I said I love my truck but I've got to get it running asap. I can't afford to take it to the shop, and don't think I would anyway. Thank you for any help I get from y'all. I really do appreciate it. I'm just a girl with a truck. Have a great evening.

·
Premium Member
15,031 Posts
What did you replace the turbo with? Oil in the exhaust pipe points to a bad turbo. The shaft seal allows oil to pass from the lube circuit to the exhaust side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put another GTP38,. And I also thought it was the turbo. I took it to a diesel mechanic I know and he went through it checked everything to see if I had gotten a new one that was bad. He said wasn't the turbo.
As far as not plugging something the delete is simple. He thought it might be my cylinders, but 8 have no blowby to speak of. But it's sure dumped all the oil. I'm not for sure where it is coming from 100%. I know it's back around the exhaust y pipe. I've had one vote for the valves ps snd one vote to start at the oil pressure sensor. I'm pretty sure my pump is working how fast it put it on the ground. I also forgot to say that my dash oil pressure is at 0, and the light is on.
Running the truck sounds great. It just won't stay running thankfully once the oil dumps and the pressure is gone. Thank you both for your answers.

·
Premium Member
15,031 Posts
The pressure sensor is up front on the reservoir. May need to clean everything up and get up there and watch while it runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,543 Posts
Did you use an EBPV delete kit with new housings from some aftermarket vendor or was your delete done by removing the valve and then back plugging the holes? I would have a hard time believing that your problem was something other than the parts involved with the delete process.

·
Super Moderator
26,333 Posts
It may be totally unrelated to your turbo pedestal and EBPV delete. There are plugs on the front and back of each head that seal the HP oil galleries. They're sealed by o-rings and if one of those let go, it would cause a pretty good HP oil leak. The ones in the back of the heads are a PITA to get at, so of course, those are the ones that leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you use an EBPV delete kit with new housings from some aftermarket vendor or was your delete done by removing the valve and then back plugging the holes? I would have a hard time believing that your problem was something other than the parts involved with the delete process.
I just removed the valve and plugged the holes. It's not leaking anywhere on the turbo itself. It could be coming from the pedestal. I know the oil is running ionto my transmission and then dripping further back. What are the chances i
could be a cylinder? Should I go ahead and pull my engine and pull the heads?
I'm in a sticky situation . My mother just passed away. I'm at her home packing it up. {In the sticks). It's going to be sold soon, so unfortunately I'm on a time table. If it weren't for that I might go ahead and machine it and rebuild at a leisurely pace. But I don't have the luxury of time on my side. So I really appreciate everyone's help and sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like an o-ring to me. I'd pull the turbo and pedestal off to check them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may be totally unrelated to your turbo pedestal and EBPV delete. There are plugs on the front and back of each head that seal the HP oil galleries. They're sealed by o-rings and if one of those let go, it would cause a pretty good HP oil leak. The ones in the back of the heads are a PITA to get at, so of course, those are the ones that leak.
I will get under there tomorrow and find those plugs on the heads. Would those cause it to be high and possibly end up out my exhaust. Initially, before it dumped all my oil on the ground, I was spitting oil out the tail pipe. After I did the delete and did not get my clamp tight on my side exhaust pipe , did I realize how much oil was dumping. It was going out that pipe but hit the loose clamp and just poured like water out and dropped from the starter and off the back of my transmission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I replaced the o rings the other day. I replaced o rings from manifold to pedestal and pedestal to turbo. I also replaced the o ring from turbo to plenum. If I'm missing any o rings let me know. But I don't think I am. Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
26,333 Posts
If you're dumping oil out thru the exhaust, about the only place it can originate from is the turbo bearing seal.
But that being said, oil can wind up in places you don't expect. Those HP oil plugs I mentioned could spray oil on the outside of the exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts