The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford changed my oil the 1st. time. I'm getting ready to change it myself but do they make a wrench to fit the large filter?

Bud

----------------------
2000 F-250 PSD, Lariet, exten. cab. Gold/blk.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Look for filter pliers at your local parts store. They make them big enough to fit your filter and you will also be able to take off the cover to the fuel filter.
Ernest
OOPS this belongs into engine and drivetrain

[This message has been edited by Ernest (edited 06-12-2000).]

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
bubsie42,

I tried a couple of different strap wrenches, they will get the filter off, but will not tighten the required number of turns without denting the heck out of the filter. I found a really good steel band wrench at NAPA. It is pricey, about $35+- , but if you plan to do your own maintenance, it is worth the price. The problem with our trucks is the filter MUST be tightened to spec, or it will vibrate loose. I had a couple come loose when I used the quick lube type places, so I vowed to never use them again and change my own oil. Since then, no more loose, leaky filters.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mhardin (edited 06-12-2000).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did my first oil change today and thanks to a ton of great advice on this forum didn't leave a drop on the driveway. The hole in the filter was a great help. Plus I installed the fumoto valve. I used the plier filter wrench from Walmart for about 8 bucks. I doubt that I will use it again, since I got the K&N filters that have the built in nut on the bottom, but it worked great for getting the old one loose. The change went great and should be even easier from now on! Enjoy your truck!

------------------
Y2K, F250SD,S/Cab, 4X2, Long Bed, 6Spd, XLT, 3.73 LSD, White/Silver,

Ride Rite, Rhino Liner, Fumoto Valve, Sexy Navigator Soon to be pulling 33' 2000 New Horizons 5W full-time Coming soon from DIS: Turbobrake, ISSPRO boost and pyro, turbo temp monitor.

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
Hi, folks-

This topic is exactly why our WebMaster created the Other forum. For topics that would be off-topic in the other forums. This forum is reserved for discussions of website operations, so this topic is off-topic here. I'll move it to the Other forum.

Smokey Wren
Forums Moderator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts